What's new

Israeli personna from great to zero

I finally got around to trying an Israeli personna. Used it in a Lord L-5. It worked great. An Egyptian razor and an Israeli blade got along great...an example to follow.

Anyway, it was a strange blade. It really didn't settle down until the THIRD shave. Shaves three and four were wonderful, smooth, close, irritation free.

Took it out for round 5 this morning and there was nothing there. Didn't even finish the first pass, it was shot.

I don't know as I've ever seen a blade go from great to zip so quickly.

I pitch all my blades after round three or four. First of all cause I'm worth it, second because I don't want to experience the same letdown you just did.

a lot of people lauded red personnas about their sharpness and smoothness combination, but I found them to be rough.
It was just very strange. It may be sharp, but it just feels like it doesn't agree with my face.

That's unfortunate. Maybe a fluke?

I have only tried one, and I really liked it in my NEW. I pitched it a bit prematurely in order to keep trying more sample blades.

I will have to revisit.

a lot of people lauded red personnas about their sharpness and smoothness combination, but I found them to be rough.
It was just very strange. It may be sharp, but it just feels like it doesn't agree with my face.

I too had the same experience. Bought a box of 100 but didn't get far into it. Glad to know I'm not the only one.

I had the same experience. I was working through a blade sampler and I had just finished with a Crystal Super+, which had exceeded my expectations and performed very well for me. The Red IP did not give me a good shave and it was a very poor experience. That was the first time I really understood how accurate YMMV is.

It's probably you prep and/or technique. This is a blade lauded by hordes of people for its smoothness. Some may fault it not being as sharp as other top shelf blades, but not for smoothness.

It's probably you prep and/or technique. This is a blade lauded by hordes of people for its smoothness. Some may fault it not being as sharp as other top shelf blades, but not for smoothness.

well if it's my prep and technique, then other blades should disagree with my face just as bad as red IPs, but other blades like feather, GSB, 7 o'clocks cut through my stubble effortlessly, albeit with different feels. Maybe its lack of sharpness makes me think it's scratchy.

I might give it another shot maybe in like 6 months, but I doubt I will purchase any more than 100 I have at the moment.
Good for future PIF I guess. :)

I took another one out for a try. Shave #3 with it and it really wasn't performing.

Just didn't want to knock down a few of my tougher whiskers. Some tugging. Gave me a good size bump under my chin. Maybe these blades aren't for me. :surrender:

I find them an OK but not exceptional blade. Longevity is not important to me and like Grandpa Pipes above, I'm worth a new blade after 3 shaves, 2 if I'm using Feathers.

I too had the same experience. Bought a box of 100 but didn't get far into it. Glad to know I'm not the only one.

Have to amend the above comment I made.

Since then I pulled out another Crystal and have had 6 great shaves from this one blade. The only thing different this time is I've been using my '63 Gillette adjustable on setting three. I didn't have this razor the previous time but not sure what I was using. Anxious to see how many shaves out of this one blade and then if another will be just as good. I did just get in 25 Israeli Reds. Will try those in a little bit.

Been using them this week, got a dud, or at least an odd feeling one that I had to change. I have noticed that each little 10 pack seems to have 1 or maybe 2 in it. However before when they were in white wrappers, that didn't happen. I'm starting to think that each change wrapper brings along some other kind of subtle change as well?

The Personna Israeli Reds are my blade of choice and I've never had a problem getting at least four shaves out of them. I typically change blades after four shaves, but have gone for five occasionally without a problem. I probably wouldn't push it past five, but I would say that about every other blade I've tried, too.

Every blade is different, and every face is different.
What works great for some is junk for others. At least we get a wide array of opinions here. I usually go with the majority opinion, on blades, then try for myself. No need wasting money on a blade that 90 percent hate. Unless curiosity is your thing.

The Personna Israeli Reds are my blade of choice and I've never had a problem getting at least four shaves out of them. I typically change blades after four shaves, but have gone for five occasionally without a problem. I probably wouldn't push it past five, but I would say that about every other blade I've tried, too.

Going to try my first one this morning 😊

Probably true ... and that is why you should not believe anyone else's recommendations for DE blades.

Different razors, face, and technique, make for very different experiences with the same blades. So in your situation, IPs are not for you.

Btw, if you still have some ... you might want to try them in a year from now; chances are that they work differently for you then.

Tried my first one this morning. Not sure what to think. I stopped midway and put in the Israeli Crystal that was on shave #7 and it felt the same, if not better, as the new Red. Probably unfair to judge this early. So, tomorrow I'm putting in a new Crystal and will see.

Ready to give up on the Personnas.

Tried the Israeli Red this morning and it was horrible. I finished the shave with a Gillette Silver Blue and it was much better.

I've now tried 3 Crystals. The first one was horrible. The second one was awesome. The third one was horrible.

Not consistent?????

Top Bottom