What's new

End of life planning . . .

A comment in another thread got me to thinking about this . . . have any of you made plans for what is to happen to your "stuff" when you have finally finished shaving? SWMBO and I are starting to think about Wills and Powers of Attorney, etc.

But I am wondering if any members have thought about this sort of thing in any detail? My parents freaked out my wife when one of the first things they asked her after the honeymoon was, "When we're dead, what do you want?" Not exactly in those words, but pretty close to it. My parents planned EVERYTHING for when they were/are gone (Mom passed several years ago, Dad is still with us). Mom's "stuff has been divided amongst the kids and grandkids as per her wishes (and whoever called dibs). I have already received my Father's rocker, and my brother will receive his watch when the time comes. SWMBO has a great sewing box from my Mom that came with a small green mountain pottery squirrel in the bottom drawer (one last joke from Mom - wifey HATES squirrels).

So, has anyone else gone into such detail for their end of life planning?

It's just stuff, shaving stuff but still just stuff. I figure I'll be past caring about stuff once I've drawn my final breath.

A comment in another thread got me to thinking about this . . . have any of you made plans for what is to happen to your "stuff" when you have finally finished shaving? SWMBO and I are starting to think about Wills and Powers of Attorney, etc.

But I am wondering if any members have thought about this sort of thing in any detail? My parents freaked out my wife when one of the first things they asked her after the honeymoon was, "When we're dead, what do you want?" Not exactly in those words, but pretty close to it. My parents planned EVERYTHING for when they were/are gone (Mom passed several years ago, Dad is still with us). Mom's "stuff has been divided amongst the kids and grandkids as per her wishes (and whoever called dibs). I have already received my Father's rocker, and my brother will receive his watch when the time comes. SWMBO has a great sewing box from my Mom that came with a small green mountain pottery squirrel in the bottom drawer (one last joke from Mom - wifey HATES squirrels).

So, has anyone else gone into such detail for their end of life planning?

I have a plan, however, it hasn't been reduced to each item in my estate. Certain details, that I feel are important for inheritance, have been put in place. The others, such as salad forks or who needs a spare toilet plunger, not so much. Just what I feel to be important and what I'd like to be remembered by.

Still pretty young, so I really haven't thought to much about it. So far the only thing me and the wife have done is make sure our daughter and soon to be baby #2 have "god parents" that we trust, know will raise our kids the way we want to, and are active in our and our children's lives. I also have promised my Scandium S&W J-Frame 357 to a best friend of mine in the event that something happens to me.

Only food for thought that I can add to this is, age is only one way to go... That's about all I can offer. Never too early to have a plan.

That is what surprised my wife about my folks' planning. They had everything of value decided upon, and asked us about "sentimental items". Some of those have already been dispersed among the kids and grandkids, while the rest await my Father's passing. but my folks wanted none of the bickering that can occur in the aftermath of a Will reading, so they literally "thought of everything".

SWMBO and I have only one child so that aspect is pretty easy, but I think I am going to have some notes about my shave gear for my God sons. They may never use it but, then again, they just might.

Re: my gear, no I haven't gotten that specific. I am tempted, however, to create a spreadsheet with a listing of the potential values of all of that stuff (dutifully crossing off the soaps and creams as I finish them) so that they don't just pitch it in the bin.

This question is a very good one insofar as - statistically speaking - 100% of the people reading this post will die at some point in the future.

That attempt at dark humor aside, our family experienced a terrible and sudden loss not so long ago. It totally shook me out of my assumption that death is a far-off thing that maybe someday I'll think about thinking about. It caused me to seriously consider those left behind.

I've actually willed all of my collection to my son, except for my daily razor (E2 Fatboy). SWMBO wants that one.

No, it's not a comfortable thing to think about or deal with, but I'm of the opinion that I'm actually doing my loved ones a favor by not dumping the problem in their lap.

Everyone of any adult age should have a will, power of attorney, living will, and healthcare power of attorney. As a financial planner, these are basic legal documents I encourage my clients to have.

Statistically, we all will live long, mostly healthy lives, but it is never too early to plan ahead and sometimes the Grim Reaper or a staggering illness/disability comes calling way too early. We all know friends and family who have experienced this.

Major items and assets can be taken care of in a will and you can make lists of specific sentimental bequests to family members.

I recommend that folks do this and discuss openly with all parties in advance so that others can give feedback and to prevent bruised feelings later on. If a child, for instance, feels that the parents favored another sibling, the animosity can run long and deep. An ounce of prevention while the parents are living can go a long way to avoiding such circumstances.

Cheers!!

We don't have children, so the thought of who will get my "stuff" often crosses my mind, and it haunts me. When from my nerveless grasp have dropped forever the working tools of life, I certainly hope someone wants what is important to me. I'm not talking about TVs, laptops, or chainsaws; it tears at my soul wondering if someone will see the significance I place on a ticket stub, or a certain picture, or a book.

Made my will before entering my DE phase. However, I do not think if I were doing it today, my shaving stuff would merit mention. Even though the collection might be worth $1000+.

I suppose my son-in-law might make use of it.

Being an only child, it was easy for my folks to do, they just made me the secondary beneficiary of all the life insurance, put my name as a pod on the bank accounts, and the like.
I went and used legal zoom, the website with state specific wills and it was quick and easy. Made swmbo as my power of attorney, and she did likewise for me. My "stuff" is mostly firearms and a couple candle sticks from my great grandparents. If I pass relatively young, they are stipulated to go to a cousin, who can still remember the people. Then they can decide what to do.
I also made sure to tell swmbo if I die first, to put me in the family plot in our family cemetery, it's in the middle of a bean field with multiple generations buried there. Swmbo can't stand the place , so I did it as a final cruel joke.....
it never hurts to have a plan in place.

No. We have a will on the longest living (not sure if other countries have the same concepts), and it is up to the kids to decide what happens to our stuff when we are gone.

I have a living trust that lays out everything except SCS.:w00t: My parents set one up about 20 years before they passed, everything went very smooth between all of us kids because there was no grey area, we knew what their wishes were from a medical standpoint as well as any items that they wanted in a certain hand, was distributed to the proper person.

Yup we have and we are in our 30's. It's peace of mind to know that at any moment I can go and know that my last gift to those I leave behind albeit my parents, brother, my lady, whoever it may be that as they are grieving (or partying whichever haha) they don't have to worry about anything because I've quietly and secretly taken care of it all down to location, what to do, how to do it, etc.

some find it morbid and disgusting, I find it peaceful and relaxing to know I'm not leaving the burden on someone else and my wishes will be preserved and fulfilled.

The 'big' stuff is all laid out in a living trust along with my cremation arrangements.

The little stuff I am slowly giving away.

I plan on going out with a zero balance both financially and emotionally.

Top Bottom