What's new

Best "Sleeper" Blade

Laser Ultra. Less than $10 for 100, shipped. I almost didn't bother trying them because of the low price but they're easily the best blade I've used in my Merkur Progress.
And I agree with the above Rapira recommendations.

Definitely agree. They are fantastic blades!

Astra SS. People will praise Astra SP to death, but there's not a whole lot of noise around the Stainless variant, which I find way better.

Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellows.
Agreed. This one undeservedly often finds itself in the shadows of its more popular cousins.

Just tried a Nacet for a few shaves.I was impressed with its performance .Sharp and fairly smooth.
Nacet is indeed an excellent blade. It does, however, actually get a fair deal of shine on this site.

I would also have to say Perma-Sharp blade. It rarely gets mentioned but; it is a top tier blade on the level of Gillette Black and PolSilver SI and Med Prep blades.

My candidates for great blades that don't get their due praise:

Gillette Nacet
Gillette 7 O'clock SS (Russian green)
Astra SS

Of these, the only one I actually plan to ever buy in bulk is Nacet.

Russian greens just have too much glue on them, to the point that I can't adjust it once I've placed it in the razor. But the shave they deliver is excellent, even back when I was a newbie.

Astra SS are just as good as Astra SP, the latter of which has become my go-to blade. However, I would switch to SS in a heartbeat if the price were right. Vendors I buy from just tend to either only carry SP or charge less for SP.

But that Nacet... Very, very impressed. It's sharper than my usual blades, yet still smooth and forgiving. If that weren't enough, too, they last one extra shave compared to my other usual blades. And yet I hadn't even heard of them for the first year or more of DE shaving.

Gillette Platinum Plus Rubie.

They've gotten some praise in a few threads, but not much attention. They're my current favorite, beating out 7 O'Clock Blacks and GSBs.

I know I'm in the minority here but I like Dorco blades. They give me a really good , smooth shave. Best part is I can pick them up in just about any dollar store for a buck a pack. Wes

Top Bottom