What's new

Newbie from Kentucky

I started with a Gillette Fatboy about six years ago and my father got me a Parker safety razor three years ago. I started to become interested in straight razor shaving...

Fast forward three years...l have my great-great grandfather's CJ Heljestrand and his Barber's Favorite razors. My wife bought me a Sears and Roebuck razor last weekend.

Here's the rub: l can get them sharp but not sharp enough to shave with. I have an old barber hone and a leather/canvas strop...

So, l look forward to meeting ya'll and seeing what advice comes my way as well.

Take care,
Tackman

What condition are the razors in? What type of stones are you using? What grits? I will admit I am no pro. I have been messing around with straights for less then a month. But I will say I have been able to shave with a Gold Dollar straight razor. Bought the cheap ones off line. NOT SHAVE READY. Sharpened them myself and have been shaving with them. Not sure if that is something to be proud of but eh. Any advice I can give be more then willing to. Also, have you checked out the wikis or the honing forum?

Mike H

Instagram Famous
Welcome! An early trick for me was to use CrOx past to kick the edge up that last bit. Oh, who am I kidding, I still use paste.:blushing:

Welcome to B&B! I'm from Somerset and went to school at Murray State, say hello to the bluegrass state for me while I'm in the Peace Corps!

Welcome. Good to have you.

There are plenty of knowledgeable folks in the straight razor subforum who would no doubt be happy to help you learn to hone and maintain an edge more effectively.

Welcome. Don't pass up the chance to check out the Wiki pages. Best info I've ever seen and I've been wet shaving for over 30 years.

Welcome from Arizona !

I use a barbers hone to maintain my straight razors. But, every so often I send mine out to a skilled
craftsman for a good edge.

There are several men on the straight razor forum that will help you out and evaluate your razors.

Top Bottom