What's new

Getting a custom scuttle made.

I have been searching for a scuttle for several months. I finally decided to have someone make a custom mega scuttle. This is the first pic he sent and says he still has some work till he lets it dry. I use a large shavemac brush and wanted something a good size.Here is his store https://www.etsy.com/people/andersenpottery
and here is the scuttle he is making for me.
proxy.php

Nice one, It definitely will make your lathering experience more pleasurable. I on the other hand came up with a lifehack for making my own scuttle. Bought myself a bowl and a mug. The bowl's top end perfectly fits the top end of the mug in such a way that the base of the bowl remains suspended inside the mug. All I do is fill the mug with hot water (not boiling) put the bowl on top and my lather remains warm throughout the whole shave. :w00t:

Those ribs inside look like a real whipped cream makers!!!
But is it hollow? Or is this just a photo taken after he put the top into the bowl and before he opens the water hole?

Looking nice allready! Looking forward to see the final result!

Should be before he opens up the water spout. It is a scuttle so I would imagine it is hollow:lol:. Here is a smaller one he made.
proxy.php

I realize that face lathering works really well and is preferred by a lot of our members, but I sure do enjoy my Georgetown G12 and I am know you will like your custom scuttle when it arrives and you finally get to use it.

Congratulations on a great choice. Looks to be well crafted and I would love to see the finished product!

I run 2 from Steve Woodhead Ceramics UK.

Allready had this one "Mega Wet Shaving Scuttle #3 Teak"

proxy.php

And today I recieved this one "Wet Shaving Mug / Bowl #6Teak"
proxy.php

Love them both.

Last edited:
It will be in blue to match my brush.
proxy.php
[/URL][/IMG]

The woodhead mega scuttle is what gave the inspiration. It would have run me a crazy amount(108.00) to get one of his in the US.

It will be a while as it takes several weeks to dry. Probably looking at a month till I get it. Cant wait.

I run 2 from Steve Woodhead Ceramics UK.

Allready had this one "Mega Wet Shaving Scuttle #3 Teak"

proxy.php

And today I recieved this one "Wet Shaving Mug / Bowl #6Teak"
proxy.php

Love them both.

I don't trust anyone to make me a lather bowl that has an unbloomed Omega 48 just sitting around... :laugh:

jackgoldman123

Boring and predictable
ok sports fans, physics majors and engineers please reply. I have read the ribs do nothing for lather, it is the brush doing all the work.

I don't trust anyone to make me a lather bowl that has an unbloomed Omega 48 just sitting around... :laugh:
:lol:
Imagine it without the piggy brush

ok sports fans, physics majors and engineers please reply. I have read the ribs do nothing for lather, it is the brush doing all the work.

Well... in the first case the ribs create more total area.
And if you have creamy, dense lather those ridges will fill up with whipped lather...

But in real practise I have used bowl without ribs but I any time prefer scuttles/ mugs/ bowl with ribs... I experienced faster lather making with than without ribs.

I have smooth and textured bowls. Textured whips up a lather much quicker, maybe because the texture moves the bristles around more?

In my experience, its the constant switch between clockwise and counter clockwise movement of brush that significantly increases the richness of lather. Also if you pump some air into the lather by pushing and releasing the brush into your shaving mug/bowl will increase the quality of your lather. And yes, warm bowls make a quick lather. But its all my observation and yours can be different.

It shipped today. Cant wait to get it next week. Didnt get pics of the completed scuttle from the maker.

Top Bottom