What's new

Straight shaving someday maybe

Hi guys, I don't own a straight yet and if I do decide to invest in one it would be a long time from now, but could someone answer a few questions honestly that will help me decide? First, I know that these things need to be stropped at least once before using, and they need to be "refreshed" every couple of months with a hone after they have been used, but if the blade is maintained and cared for very well, does any more need to be done than that eventually? Is buying a hone and refreshing it every so often going to be all that I need to do? I ask because I feel like refreshing the razor is something I could learn and become good at with practice, but if the blade needs to have anything done with it beyond that, I might just stick with DE. Second, what is "setting a bevel?" Thanks guys. I know this is a total newb question but straight razors are something I'm intrigued by but also scared of because of their maintenance.

The only reason a blade would needing thing other than what you described is if you screw it up, strop wrong, hone wrong!
It costs about $25-30 bucks to have a pro hone it to fix anything that poor stropping or honing has done.

The bevel is the cutting edge of the razor. Setting it is putting the bevel at the angle to shave with. Simplified answer!

Is setting the bevel something I will need to learn to do? Does it have to be done on a new unsharpened razor or be re-done eventually?

Is setting the bevel something I will need to learn to do? Does it have to be done on a new unsharpened razor or be re-done eventually?
Always shave with a new/new to you razor to see how it shaves. Don't force the shave and get a bad experience!
Setting the bevel has to be done on any razor that is unsharpened! That's why it is best to purchase a razor from a reputable maker that actually sends out a razor shave ready. The bevel will have to set one in a blue moon. Your blue moon may very from mine. All I do in strop before each shave. When I feel that the razor isn't shaving according to my liking I will you it up on a 12k Naniwa SuperStone then Chrome Ox on a balsa wood hone. Then strop, and it's good to go.
setting the bevel is easy. One layer of tape on the spine of the razor and as many laps on a 1k stone, Naniwa or Norton are the most popular.
This is from another site. Hopefully it's Kosher to do.
http://straightrazorplace.com/srpwiki/index.php/Bevel-setting_in_theory_and_practice

As above - get a share ready razor from someone here well rated and it will need stropping and the occasional top up. A bevel set would be unlikely!

Honing to top up an edge isn't as hard as it sounds, especially with a hollow blade. It's all part of the fun of using straights.

Which reminds me, one of mine needs a few laps on the stone

Top Bottom