What's new

R.I. P. - Marquis Haynes

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...arlem-globetrotter-marques-haynes-dies-at-89/

Marques Haynes, the first Harlem Globetrotter to be inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame, died Friday (May 22) at age 89. Haynes died of natural causes just after 4:30 a.m. in Plano, Tex., while surrounded by his friends and family.

“The game of basketball has lost one of its most iconic figures. … He was the consummate Globetrotter,” team chief executive Kurt Schneider said in a statement.

Haynes played for the Globetrotters for 13 years over the course of two stints, first from 1947 to 1953 and then again from 1972 to 1979. He played more than 12,000 games and visited almost 100 countries with the team, the Globetrotters said.

Just think how much joy this man spread in his travels and that he got paid to do something that he deeply loved. Sounds great to me.

The only time I saw the Globetrotters was during his second stint with them. Truly a lot of fun for a youngster to see. RIP

I remember seeing the Trotters live at the New Haven Coliseum, as well as their TV show in the '70s.
There has *never* been a ballhandler like Marques Haynes. The things that man could do...with multiple balls at once, too.

Top Bottom