What's new

Laptop: Repair or Replace

Hi everyone

Have somehow managed to crack the digitiser on my touch screen laptop. :facep:

The screen appears intact (would confirm before purchasing parts) just the glass digitiser has cracked on one side.

Have managed to find a new replacement digitiser on eBay but am not sure if it is really worth replacing or best to just purchase another laptop.

Laptop is around 13 months old. It is a HP Pavilion Touchsmart 11, which retails in Australia for $400 approx.

Digitiser is $109, I have the technical skills to replace it myself so it wouldn't cost to have it done.

Thoughts? Would it be worth spending around 25% of the machines value to repair?

Repair. Saves $300 and computer is not that old. Good luck.

Thanks, was leaning towards to the repair option, but just couldn't give myself that push.

$109 and a hours work is still cheaper than a replacement.

It makes the best sense imho to just replace the digitiser.
Financially, it's not worth to purchase a new laptop, if the current one covers your needs. And it's not like you can shell out a few more dollars and get a new one.
Besides, if you trust in your skills, it's a fun thing to do imho.

I replaced my laptop screen about 18 months ago. It was a little tricky, but not overwhelming. There are videos on YouTube that give generic assistance. Biggest pain for me was that I had to disassemble twice. First to get correct part number off back of display and then second time to do the replacement/transplant.

Bought the screen on eBay.

Digitizer? Fancy name for a screen? Either way money is on repair due to age and inexpensive repair (vs. cost of replacement).

-Stephen

Digitizer? Fancy name for a screen? Either way money is on repair due to age and inexpensive repair (vs. cost of replacement).

-Stephen

Hi Stephen, it's a touch screen laptop, same principle as a mobile phone.

Digitiser which converts "touch" input and then a separate screen behind it.

:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Thanks everyone, have the laptop on my desk and am about to pull it apart to make sure the screen is still intact before I order the part :thumbsup:

Just in case someone else on B&B ever has to do the same, have included a replacement video found on youtube.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gotta love the youtube repair video. I have used them to replace a laptop screen, Galaxy SIII glass, door latch on a front-load washing machine, O2 sensor on a truck, and probably more.

Gotta love the youtube repair video. I have used them to replace a laptop screen, Galaxy SIII glass, door latch on a front-load washing machine, O2 sensor on a truck, and probably more.

+1

Washing machine stopped working a while back and I was quoted $170 to repair. Some youtubing, a $1 magnet and fixed! :thumbsup:

Disassembled the digitiser, thankfully the screen is intact. Sent the seller an email confirming compatibility, now just to wait....

I would repair it. I regularly keep my various machines online for around 10 years before I build/buy a new one. Usually some simple repairs and upgrades along the way are all it takes. I still have an original pentium machine I run a lightweight Linux environment on and it's still a joy to use on occasion.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
If you can get away with fixing it, go for it. Several years back, our pc wouldn't start. My wife was ready to chuck it and drop a grand on a new one, but I told her to just buy a new power supply and let me have a whack at it. She found a rebuilt one on line for something like ten dollars, shipped. A couple of turns of a screwdriver later and we were back in business, and it lasted another five years.

Throwing things out should be the last resort.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
+1

Washing machine stopped working a while back and I was quoted $170 to repair. Some youtubing, a $1 magnet and fixed! :thumbsup:

My bicycle tire stopped holding air. I watched a YouTube video and said "pah! I can do that easy peasy". 2 trips to the store and 3 hours later turns out I can not do that easy peasy. It's still sitting in my garage with a flat.

Top Bottom