What's new

First post and first DE shave today

My mother in law bought me a product kit from eshave this past xmas. It included a badger brush with stand and verbena lime pre shave oil, shave cream and after shave soother. I was impressed at how better products improved the quality of my shave and began occasionally researching shaving. I have been seriously looking into DE shaving for the past couple of weeks and constantly found myself returning to B&B for info, and since I just completed my first DE shave I thought I would join.
My razor came today, a shiny new Muhle R89 that I ordered from Amazon. I also ordered a new Kent BK4 brush from ebay, the brush from eshave is a miserable shedder, as well as a collection of blade, cream and soap samples from maggardrazors. The brush and samples should be here in a couple of days but the razor came with one Muhle blade so I decided to give it a try.
First a hot shower, then I applied the preshave oil before preparing my lather. I prefer bowl lathering as it allows some time for the oil to do its work. After brushing on the lather I grabbed my razor took a deep breath and got started. I managed two passes with the grain and no blood so I am calling it a success. I rinsed with cold water and applied some unscented witch hazel with aloe followed by the after shave soother.
Its not as smooth as I would get from a single pass with a cartridge and my technique definitely needs work but the spots I thought I would have the most trouble with, my lip, chin and neck, are actually smoother than my cheeks. I am hoping to add an across the grain pass in the next couple of shaves once I am a bit more comfortable with my technique. For now I am not even considering an against the grain pass, I definitely need some practice before attempting that.

Welcome to B&B. From what I've been told, the key is to not use any pressure on the razor and to shave slow and carefully.
Enjoy.

Hello and welcome, Fred. Great to have you here on B&B. Wander on over to the Hall of Fame and introduce yourself.

I've been DE shaving for about 6 months and to be honest I need to do a 3 pass shave including one pass ATG and touch-up to get the same results as i do with 2 passes of my Mach 3. Everybody is different.

Congrats on your first successful DE shave. You're starting out with a good plan - first couple shaves very cautious and WTG. Add an XTG after a few shaves and get the hang of proper angle (you'll HEAR the whiskers popping as the blade cuts when your angle is correct).

I never go ATG. Some guys can, I cannot. It's not worth the rash/irritation, especially on my lower neck area. I'm very happy with a DFS on the cheeks and jaw and CCS on lower neck. I've been at it for 6 months now and couldn't be happier. I used to HATE shaving and avoided it at every opportunity. Now I LOOK FORWARD to it every single day.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Welcome to the club. You are among friends. I do an across the grain pass even though I don't think it removes that much stubble for me personally, but some guys get great results with it. I do it so that I'm not jumping right to ATG after WTG. Also, I have to be very careful with ATG because the skin on my neck is very sensitive and even if I've used a little too much pressure, angry red spots tell me so. But if the blade I'm using is sharp and I take my time, I can do an ATG almost without any razorburn at all. It just takes practice.

Congrats on your first successful DE shave. You're starting out with a good plan - first couple shaves very cautious and WTG. Add an XTG after a few shaves and get the hang of proper angle (you'll HEAR the whiskers popping as the blade cuts when your angle is correct).

I never go ATG. Some guys can, I cannot. It's not worth the rash/irritation, especially on my lower neck area. I'm very happy with a DFS on the cheeks and jaw and CCS on lower neck. I've been at it for 6 months now and couldn't be happier. I used to HATE shaving and avoided it at every opportunity. Now I LOOK FORWARD to it every single day.

Keep us posted on your progress.

+1 to everything above and Welcome to B&B!

Hi and welcome to a great place. You're in for an enjoyable and informative experience with all the great input that is available here.

Top Bottom