What's new

Adjustable - Modern vs. Vintage Need Advice

Buying my next razor after a starter. Definitely decided on an adjustable because I don't know where I am with aggressive and comfort yet and can probably save money if I can just adjust one razor until I figure this out.

Got some great advice from some members about some vintage Gillettes. Really like the Merkur Futur as well. Checked out prices and the Fatboys and Slims that are in good shape are about $60-$75 and I can also get a Futur for about $70 so its pretty much a wash cost wise.

I like the nostalgia factor with the Gillettes but also love the looks of the Futur. I know its YMMV but is one really any better than the other? Only doing one choice right now - might get another much later.

Thoughts?

It's hard to go wrong. I've tried all three. The Futur is the one that stuck with me, it's probably my favorite razor.

I never tried the Futur so I can't comment on that one. I know I prefer my Progress over the Gillette adjustables I have tried/own, and that includes the Fatboy, Slim and Super Adjustable.

IMHO the Progress is a much better shaver, very smooth and efficient.

Of all the adjustable a I tried the Futur is my favorite. I prefer aggressive and heavy razors so the Futur fits the bill. I shave on 6 except for ATG when I dial it down to 4. I was worried about shaving my upper lip but it's no problem.

I have three vintage adjustables, and I think they are great shavers. I can't comment on how any of the modern adjustables shave, but I have heard that the head of the Futur is kind of large and makes shaving the mustache area difficult.

Just choose one that looks best to you, really, as this will be a YMMV thing. Don't overlook the Merkur Progress, also. Good luck and welcome!

Great strategy to go with an adjustable at this stage. I took the same approach when I got started and chose a Progress. It was my daily shaver for almost 2 years! Great razor.

Buying my next razor after a starter. Definitely decided on an adjustable because I don't know where I am with aggressive and comfort yet and can probably save money if I can just adjust one razor until I figure this out.

Got some great advice from some members about some vintage Gillettes. Really like the Merkur Futur as well. Checked out prices and the Fatboys and Slims that are in good shape are about $60-$75 and I can also get a Futur for about $70 so its pretty much a wash cost wise.

I like the nostalgia factor with the Gillettes but also love the looks of the Futur. I know its YMMV but is one really any better than the other? Only doing one choice right now - might get another much later.

Thoughts?
A vintage is better made and shaves better to me.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
To me both work great, but there's no question that a vintage razor has more "charme" to it. If you want you can buy one and have it totally restored to a brand new condition with a replating service.

Only tried Futur, but i don't feel the need of trying something else. At the moment is my main razor. Really different from anything else i have used and very efficient.

Each time we try something new, we have the opportunity to learn something. Many shavers feel the need to try almost everything whilst others are content with their first brush and razor.
Take your time and enjoy, whichever way you decide.

Top Bottom