What's new

Feather vs Astra SP?

I happened to notice that after trying some Astra SP's that West Coast shaving was giving away, that I get as near-BBS close, but more comforatable (i.e. no burn no nothing) shave.

I'm strongly considering switching.

I used to consider Astra's as just middle of the road blades...

I'm curious if anyone else has had this phenomena happen to them?

Astra SPs are one of my favorite blades and have been since I first tried them. However, some blades work better than others in combination with some razors, so it's hard to generalize. E.g., Voskhods are also among my favorites, but they don't seem to like it when I load them into an ATT S2 head. The fact that the Astras used to seem so-so to you, but now are producing excellent shaves, may well be the result of improved technique more than anything else. Anyway, the bottom line is that the Astra SP is one of the most universally liked blades around B&B, so you are in good company if you like them.

Your shaving depends on a variety of factors, including the amount of prep, razor, soap, and beard. Trying different blades (and ways of shaving) is the best way of determining what works best for you. The answer might seem like something of a cop-out - but it really is true.

That said, I put in a fair amount of time to prep, and I've found Feather to be sharper and deliver smoother results than Astra. That said, Astra blades are widely loved by many.

Last edited:
Your shaving depends on a variety of factors, including the amount of prep, razor, soap, and beard. Trying different blades (and ways of shaving) is the best way of determining what works best for you. The answer might seem like something of a cop-out - but it really is true.

That said, I put in a fair amount of time to prep, and I've found Feather to be sharper and deliver smoother results than Astra. That said, Astra blades are widely loved by many.

I feel exactly the same way about Feathers. Because they're sharper, they literally require no effort.

I get great bbs shaves out of Astra SP's in just about any razor I use them in. I would agree that as others have said you will get different shaves with different razor and blade combos. When I started out I bought an EJ DE89 and 100 Personna lab blues and quickly learned that combo didn't work for me. Discovered Astra SP's gave me a great shave in that same razor. Later I purchased a Razor rock slab and threw in an lab blue and got a great shave. Some might say my technique had improved but I still cant get a good shave from a lab blue in my EJ DE89. I find mild blades in efficient/aggresive razors and sharp blades in milder razors is the formula that works best for me.

I'm a head and face shaver, and I toss my blades after one use. With that taken into consideration, I find the Feathers just slightly better than the Astra SPs. Not 1.5 times better, even though they are 1.5 times more expensive. When I was attempting to use blades for 2 - 3 head and face shaves, I found the Feathers dulled much faster as well.

My top blades in no order are Astra SP, Personna Labs, Voskhod, Gillette Silver Blue and 7OC. I consistently go 6-7 shaves on any blade I use. I'm in the minority here but all these perform equally well as the Feather for 11/3 to 1/2 the cost when purchased by the 100.

I'm a head and face shaver, and I toss my blades after one use. With that taken into consideration, I find the Feathers just slightly better than the Astra SPs. Not 1.5 times better, even though they are 1.5 times more expensive. When I was attempting to use blades for 2 - 3 head and face shaves, I found the Feathers dulled much faster as well.
Some excellent points. Didnt even think of the cost per shave in my response. I also only get 2 good shaves out of feathers and 3 out os Astras.

Some excellent points. Didnt even think of the cost per shave in my response. I also only get 2 good shaves out of feathers and 3 out os Astras.

This underlines why shavers' results vary so widely. I get three to four good shaves from an Astra, but six to seven from a Feather. For many shavers, better prep and low pressure make for better blade longevity. (I don't shave my head, however.)

This underlines why shavers' results vary so widely. I get three to four good shaves from an Astra, but six to seven from a Feather. For many shavers, better prep and low pressure make for better blade longevity. (I don't shave my head, however.)
My prep always involves a well hydrated beard and i dont think my technique is all that shabby. I believe our individual beards thickness (density of hair and density or thickness of the individual hairs) has a larger impact on blade longevity.

Astra SP is my favorite blade. The Feathers give the better first shave while the Astras remain consistent well into the 3rd and 4th. Feathers are sprinters, Astras are in for the long march.

I use both, in a Merkur slant, and find little difference. I prefer the Astra as it's a little smoother, and lasts longer. Unless you toss after one shave, price difference in negligible in the greater scheme of things.

I like Feathers best in a mild razor such as a Merkur, best combo ever. For more aggressive razors like the Fatip I prefer the Astra SP and the Personna labs.

Astra SPs are the blades I use about 60% of the time -- Polsilver SIs 30% -- with odds & ends filling in the last ten percent. I love trying different blades and I'm completely impulsive about shaving in general. Sometimes I'll read something here on B&B and think to myself, "Yeah, I'm gonna use that cream they mentioned when I shave tomorrow."

Usually though, when tomorrow comes around, I end up choosing on a whim something altogether different. I tend to do the same thing shopping -- my wife says I buy whatever wags it's tail hardest! For blades though, a Polsilver in my Merkur slant is un-beatable. But at bargain prices, Astras are a very close second.

my 2¢
:euro:

Always had a soft spot for Astras, mainly the Superior Stainless (blue packaging) blades.

I use Feathers, Astra SPs and SSs and Polsilver, and while Astras may not be the best, they are not far behind and offer a tremendous value.

B.

Astras were my first 100 purchase but I then realised that I much preferred the Feathers. In my slim, Feathers are aboslutely incredible and give a considerably closer shave than an Astra. It's like everyone says though, it's the right blade in the right razor and using the right supplies and technique. YSMV (Your shave may vary).

Well, they are "middle of the road blades". But this does not mean that they are dull or something. Modern blades kinda go from "very sharp" to "very very sharp", so, it's hard to go wrong with most of them, as long as your technique and hardware helps you out.

There are more factors that influence the way you feel a blade. Beside prep and your technique, blades do act different in different razors. Whenever i replaced my razor, i needed to test all the blades that i have previously tested with another razor. The results were very different. Some blades that i did not liked became the ones that i liked the most.

Top Bottom