What's new

FIFA is anyone really surprised by recent events?

Make waaaaaayyyyy for Prince Aliiiiiii. �� hey clear the way in the old bizarre. Hey you! Let them through it's a bright new Starrow come be the first on the block to see his eye! Way here he comes ring bells bring the drums cause you're going to love this guy!

Best thing that the new regime could do to establish a "break" with the "old way" of doing business is to take away the 2022 World Cup from Qatar, and award it to Australia. They have the infrastructure in place, so logistics would not be a problem, and it would send a solid message to sponsors and the general public, as well.

Probably too late to screw Putin out of "his" WC, but who knows? Remove any "taint" from current awarded tournaments, and start afresh for 2026.

Best thing that the new regime could do to establish a "break" with the "old way" of doing business is to take away the 2022 World Cup from Qatar, and award it to Australia. They have the infrastructure in place, so logistics would not be a problem, and it would send a solid message to sponsors and the general public, as well.

Probably too late to screw Putin out of "his" WC, but who knows? Remove any "taint" from current awarded tournaments, and start afresh for 2026.

I know, how can Qatar with only 2 million people host such a massive event? Australia, maybe, at least they have 8 football stadiums with a capacity over 30,000. I'm not sure it would be great for TV audiences which seems to be a major factor in the process these days.

Russia, sure, at least they have enough stadiums and infrastructure to host the World Cup, but the way they won it bothers me.

I think it's almost criminal that the World Cup hasn't returned "home" to the birth place of football since 1966. All the countries who have hosted the tournament twice have deserved it, but surely England deserves to hold it a 2nd time as well.

Just my bias opinion though.

At least Russia has a functioning and decent national team- Qatar does not. Qatar will become only the second host national team to not make it out of the group stage. There really should be some criteria for hosting the World Cup.

From Fox Soccer:

Former FIFA vice-president Jack Warner claims he knows why Sepp Blatter resigned and says he has an "avalanche" of evidence regarding alleged corruption at the sport's governing body.
In a political address entitled "The gloves are off" broadcast in Trinidad and Tobago, Warner said he feared for his life, but would reveal everything he knows, stating he had instructed his lawyers to contact law enforcement officials in his homeland and overseas. Warner also said that when he heard Blatter was stepping down, he wrote to him urging his immediate departure from FIFA.
"Blatter knows why he fell. And if anyone else knows, I do," Warner said. He said some of the documents he had related to financial dealings with FIFA, some of which are being investigated by US authorities.
But he also said he had documents linking FIFA officials, including Blatter, to the 2010 government election in Trinidad and Tobago.
Warner used the pre-recorded broadcast, televised on TV6 in Trinidad and Tobago, to say he has compiled a file of documents that shows "a link between FIFA, its funding and me, the link between FIFA its funding and the United National Congress (UNC) and the People's Partnership government in (Trinidad and Tobago's) general election 2010."
The TV6 website reported that in the five-minute broadcast, Warner said the file "also deals with my knowledge of international transactions at FIFA, including its president Mr. Sepp Blatter and, lastly, other matters involving (Trinidad and Tobago's) current prime minister."
Warner added: "I apologize for not disclosing my knowledge of these events before. There can be no reversal of the course of action I've now embarked upon. I have kept quiet, fearing this day might come. I will do so no more. I will no longer keep secrets for them who actively seek to destroy the country. I reasonably actually fear for my life."

The former CONCACAF president said he has compiled reams of documents and is delivering them to his lawyers. Warner added: "Not even death will stop the avalanche that is coming. The die is cast. There can be no turning back. Let the chips fall where they fall."
Warner is among more than a dozen officials charged by the US Department of Justice in the $150 million corruption and bribery investigation. US investigators say he solicited bribes worth millions and charged him with offenses including racketeering and bribery.
He has been accused of taking a bribe of $10m from South African officials in exchange for votes in the 2010 World Cup bidding process. South Africa's minister of sport again denied those allegations on Wednesday, claiming the payment was for another project which was "above board". Warner's address on Wednesday came hours after American Chuck Blazer, another former FIFA executive committee member, admitted taking bribes relating to a range of tournaments, including the 1998 and 2010 World Cups.
Warner is facing possible extradition to the United States after being indicted by American authorities on the corruption charges but indicated he will fight this. He added: "I have no intention of allowing them to deprive me of my freedom."

Warner is trying to save his own skin.
Him holding up the Onion article of FIFA holding a World Cup in the USA in 2015 was proof of the state of his compos mentis.

Yup . . . I hope that FIFA gets incinerated by this investigation . . . literally wiped out. Let the various Federations (UEFA, CONMEBOL, CONCACAF, etc.) get together and form a NEW world governing body out of the ashes of this one.

I agree. But two words. Animal Farm.

I believe you referencing the theme of some being "more" equal than others? Granted, there are Federations that are larger and more powerful (economically or talent, whichever) than others, but surely a system can be devised where all future Cups are sited based, not on who has the deepest pockets, but who can host the world safely and the matches splendidly. Brazil 2014 was a joy to watch, but an economic DISASTER for the country. Somewhere in the middle is the sweetspot, no?

Top Bottom