What's new

Old school after shave?

I like both, and I think I prefer AV overall, but I feel like SB is more of the traditional powdery scent.
Of course, I would be remiss if I didn't suggest Pinaud Clubman, which costs a couple bucks more, which you should be able to find in a CVS or Walgreens.

Easy answer, both. That represents a total investment of only about $10 and I don't think you'll regret buying either one.

I agree. All I use are the classics - AV Ice Blue, Clubman, Skin Bracer. They work and smell great.

I like both, and I think I prefer AV overall, but I feel like SB is more of the traditional powdery scent.
Of course, I would be remiss if I didn't suggest Pinaud Clubman, which costs a couple bucks more, which you should be able to find in a CVS or Walgreens.

Yup, already have Clubman. That's what got me going on this whole old school kick. It reminds me of the smells in the barbershop that my dad used to take me to when I was a kid. Miss him...

If you like Clubman, try Pinaud Classic Vanilla. I also recently picked up a bottle of the Old Spice knockoff at Family Dollar. It reminds me more of the Old Spice my grandfather wore when I was a kid than the current OS - especially after I decanted into glass.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
If you want to get wildly old school, pick up an old Avon decanter (or two or so) that's full.

Don't forget to grab some Barbasol Brisk (Family Dollar), Gillette Cool Wave (Family Dollar), and Stetson, too. I like the Barbasol best, but, believe it or not, I probably get the most compliments when I use Stetson Cooling Moisture from Walmart. :huh:

I can agree with the Barbasol suggestion. The Brisk is a MSB clone and their Pacific Rush is nice and worth a try too. I think I only paid about $1.50 each at a Dollar General.

Is there an American standard aftershave or cologne that Tabac could be compared to?
Tabac is the standard.

(at least in Germany)

The barbershop in the little town where I grew up definitely smelled like Tabac ... it is a scent one does not forget.

Edit: and the shop interior would be worth a fortune nowadays!

Last edited:
I second buying both the Skin Bracer and Aqua Velva. I know alot of folks on B&B seem to prefer the Shulton formula for Old Spice but I really like the P&G version out right now. The drydown is pretty awesome. Funny, but I get the best feeling when I walk out in the morning and smell like Skin Bracer. Something about the combination of Coast soap, Speed Stick Deodorant and Skin Bracer gives me a nosegasm. I say that and I own aftershaves that cost 10x that of Skin Bracer. Sometimes you can't beat the classics.

Top Bottom