What's new

Baystate safe?

Ok so I've tried a ton of different blues but all fall short of Baystate. So I'm looking for recommendations for a cheap pen that Baystate won't destroy to use at work.

Thanks in advance!

Mike H

Instagram Famous
And driveways.

Attachments

• $iPhone%u0025252520548.jpg
    $iPhone%u0025252520548.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Steer clear of demonstrators or pens with ink windows and all should be fine.

Yes and no ...

I first used BSB in an eyedroppered clear Preppy that came with the bottle. I have a bunch of those clear Preppies ... and can't remember which one was the BSB pen ... which says something for how well the BSB eventually cleaned out of the pen.

But the problem with clear/demonstrator pens is staining, not dissolving. IIRC it's Lamy feeds that dissove. If the OP goes with a Pilot or Platinum feed, he should be fine. So, I'm thinking a 78g, Metropolitan, or Plaisir as good and inexpensive examples.

Thanks for the suggestions fellas, it is the Lamy feed that dissolves as I understand it too.

Also steer clear of cats, sinks, and driveways... Got it!

Last edited:
I've used Baystate Blue in more than one Lamy with no problems. There was a bad batch of Lamy feeds some years ago, the problem has since been rectified, and it was never proven that the ink was the culprit. It's been discussed extensively on Fountain Pen Network. It will not eat your pen.

That being said, Baystate Blue is a highly saturated ink and therefore prone to staining, but the same can be said of other saturated inks. The only thing you need to be careful of is that it can react badly to other inks, so flush your pen well before using a different one. Baystate Blue is not the devil it's made out to be, it just needs a bit of care in your pen hygiene.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Is Baystate Blue safe?.....no. But neither are sharp knives, firearms, chainsaws or gasoline. But all are useful!

Mob that would be allll the talk if I used that Rudy:lol:
Great ink, but it destroyed my lamy...I would recommend a glass dip pen....:lol:

Everything has its place I reckon!
Is Baystate Blue safe?.....no. But neither are sharp knives, firearms, chainsaws or gasoline. But all are useful!

I think I've decided to eye dropper a preppy and if it just last a short time I'll get another one... Must use Baystate!

Thanks all of you for you suggestions!

Top Bottom