What's new

GPS Watches, Garmin Fenix 2 Owner looking for some feedback on others

So I recently purchased a Garmin Fenix 2 watch in hopes of helping me with tracking my outdoor activities and workouts. After purchasing it and having some issues connecting it to my phone and laptop I've finally got it to connect by updating the software in the watch from my PC not laptop. The laptop is running Windows 8 while my PC is on Windows 10. After having some issues I logged on to Garmin's website and cruised over to their forums where I swear 70% of the post seemed to be with people having issues with connection, deleting files or some other problems. So does anyone have a Garmin GPS watch? How do you like? Do you use Garmin Connect? Do you have another watch like a Suunto? How well do you like your watch?

Not sure I would put too much stock in what is being posted over at the Garmin forums. The quality of discussion seems like it leaves something to be desired.

I have a Suunto Ambit 2 and a recently acquired Fenix 3. Never used the F2. The Ambit 2 is rock solid -- no problems. You can get a great deal of customization/extra functionality through apps in Movescount, similar to what Garmin has been trying to do with apps in Connect IQ.

Still getting to know the Fenix. So far, I'm enjoying it. Less bulky than the Ambit, nice color display (if a little dim). I wear it as a daily activity tracker, which felt gimmicky at first but is useful in that it reminds me to get up and move when I've been sitting for a long time. The run metrics from the HRM heart rate strap (cadence, vertical oscillation, etc.) are fun to geek over. Truthfully, the watch is overkill for what I need -- I am a casual hiker, runner, and occasional backpacker, not an ultramarathon runner or a triathlete -- but I get a kick out of toys like this.

Garmin Connect works fine for me. As long as you can get the data off the watch and into Garmin Connect, you can configure it to upload automatically to a number of 3rd party sites like Strava and Runkeeper, if they're more your cup of tea.

I have an older Garmin watch. A 405 Forerunner. I hate it. Wonky interface with touch bezel, short battery life. Good for activities under 4 hours.

I have a garmin watch and a cycling computer. I like them both a lot and really have had no problems with interfacing with computers, data transfer, updates, etc. I have garmin connect on my computer, but I dont use the garmin site. I load everything into Strava.

I have a soleus GPS cycling computer that I got for next to nothing and I hate that thing. The interface is terrible and I have had problems transferring data. They do running watches as well, though after the bike computer, I wont even entertain the thought of buying one.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I've given the watch some more time and I'm starting to warm up to it. I think I may try a third party program/app like Strava. Its neat seeing my journey along the rivers I like to fish and all the spots I stop.

Top Bottom