What's new

Game night/poker night recommendations

Gents, do you have any specialties when you have guys over for a game or cards? I'm having some buddies over, and though I like entertaining I'm not going all out as I like to when having a mixed group. It's just "the guys." At the same time, I want to do something other than put out a bowl of chips, or order a pizza.

I'm hoping for something easy to make and easy to eat. Any suggestions?

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I don't know if this is as "easy" as you are looking for, but if you make up the jerk paste the day before and then let a batch of chicken wings marinade in it overnight you could grill them before, or after, guests arrive. Or you could make it up a couple of days before, grill them the day before the game, and throw them in the microwave when guests arrive. They are also good cold.

Jamaican Jerk Paste

Ingredients:

4 cloves garlic, chopped
12 scallions, entire, chopped (green onions)
4 Scotch bonnet peppers, seeded and diced (habaneros)
1 Tbs. black pepper, cracked fresh
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 Tbs. fresh ginger, grated (or bottled)
2 sprigs fresh thyme (1 tsp. bottled leaves)
3/4 tsp. fresh ground pimento beans (allspice)
1/2 tsp. nutmeg, grated (bottled)
1 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce
4 Tbs. fresh squeezed lime juice
4 Tbs. cane vinegar (apple cider vinegar)
3 Tbs. brown sugar

Preparation:

Add all of the ingredients to the bowl of your food processor, then process into a paste.

Transfer the paste to a small mixing bowl, then allow to sit at least 1 hour before using, or else cover tightly and refrigerate

If it is a "cards" night, you will want to keep things "dry" to avoid getting the chips or cards covered in "gunk". Nothing worse than trying to shuffle a deck of cards that have BBQ sauce on them. Also, try to keep the food off the playing table . . . set up your food in the kitchen or on a buffet table to the side of where you are playing.
My wife generally does the catering for my poker nights. She makes thing like chili, spring rolls, pastry puffs, etc. One or two bite items that don't have a lot of "leakage" potential.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Something else easy would be some precooked shrimp in the frozen seafood section of the grocer. Thaw according to package directions and serve with your favorite cocktail sauce.

Deviled eggs...oh, that's not as easy. Celery stuffed with cream cheese.

Pick up a few tins of smoked oysters and a bottle of Frank's hot sauce.

Sliders...scratch that, that requires cooking and they need to be served hot.

Smoked sausage...or even easier summer sausage, with Ritz crackers and sliced cheddar cheese...sliced from a block of cheese not the wrapped American cheese slices. Also smoked gouda, pepper jack, whatever looks good. Put out with a variety of mustard: stone ground, hot, dijon, etc.

Last edited:
We made sushi this weekend. Surprisingly easy to do. Its not manly guy food, but if you leave out the expensive cuts of tuna, you can feed a mess of people for really cheap on sushi. It can be premade and pulled out of the fridge. Most restaurants give you chopsticks to eat it with, but sushi is traditionally a finger food.

I like things that minimize grease or sauce on the hands. Things like soup/chili, sandwiches, pretzels, veggies & dip, etc which other people have already suggested.

Good luck!

Another vote for chili. Also the little smokies. Couple of pounds with a bottle of BBQ sauce in a crock pot is super easy. Jalapeno peppers stuffed with cream cheese and wrapped in bacon takes a few minutes to put together, but go great with a couple of beers, and a little goes a long way. Platters of sandwich fixings are easy, so are sloppy joes.

Pimento Cheese -- aka "Carolina Caviar"
Serve as a dip, spread on white bread, or make into grilled cheese.

Ingredients
1 pound sharp cheddar cheese, grated
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1 (4 ounce) bottle pimentos or roasted red peppers, drained and chopped into 1/4" bits (can substitute "Peppadews" for a sweet-hot kick.)
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon fresg ground black pepper
1 pinch salt
(Feel free to add jalapenos, worcestershire, Tabasco, etc....)

1) Throw the whole doggone thing into the food processor and whup it until it
is fairly smooth. (or for "chunky version" -- grate the cheese into a bowl. Mix in the rest of the ingredients.)
Refrigerate for a few hours to let the flavors marry.

2) Before serving, let it sit at room temp for at least 15 minutes, so it becomes more spreadable. Serve with veggie sticks, crackers, pretzels, etc. (or like mentioned above, makes a great grilled cheese.)

(If you want to pretend you're at the Master's Golf Tournament, spread the cheese on white bread to make Pimento Cheese Sandwiches. They are the speciality of the Masters Tournament and are to the Master's as hot dogs are to baseball.)

Easy "Candied" Kielbasa

2 lbs keilbasa
1 bottle (not expensive) beer
1 cup sugar

Slice Kielbasa into 1/2" chunks. Place into heavy sauce pan with beer and sugar. Bring to boil and continue at simmer/low boil (uncovered) until sauce has darkened and thickened and kielbasa are starting to turn a darker color - 30 mins or so.
Be Careful, this stuff is ROCKET HOT (boiling sugar!)
Let cool slightly and put into crockpot or heavy dish to keep warm. I usually just put out toothpicks to stab 'em with.
I guarantee it will be all gone in very short order, people can't stay away from it.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Crock pot stuff is good, as you get it done ahead of time and you don't have to fool with it while the night is going on. You want to be able to enjoy the night instead of messing with the kitchen. As already mentioned, you want your players to keep their hands clean, so stay away from sloppy sandwiches, greasy finger foods, and loose dips. Also, never underestimate the power of a bowl of mixed nuts.

Chili, Li'l Smokies, meatballs, pasta (just kept warm in the crock pot), or anything else that lends itself to a fork or toothpick is one good way to go. The sausage/summer sausage + cheese plate is good, as long as you can get folks to use a fork or toothpick. Stiff dips can be fine, too. It doesn't sound particularly manly, but a crudite platter often is welcomed.

One thing that many think about but that I shy from is chile con queso. I love the stuff (and so do most others), but it's a frappin' mess. That stuff drips all over tables, cards, hands, etc. It's great if you're sitting around to watch a game, but it's a giant pain if you playing.

Whatever you do, keep it simple on yourself, at least low maintenance during the event.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I quit smoking so this all I can do for cigars on Poker night.

$bubble_gum_cigars_1.jpg

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
If it is a "cards" night, you will want to keep things "dry" to avoid getting the chips or cards covered in "gunk". Nothing worse than trying to shuffle a deck of cards that have BBQ sauce on them.

I like things that minimize grease or sauce on the hands.

Whatever you do, keep it simple on yourself, at least low maintenance during the event.

+1 to all that.

You may want to have a "pre-games meal-type snack" and then move on to games and snacks during the games. The chili suggestion would be great for that. Or maybe have hamburgers, with melted blue cheese on top and fried red onions? Mmmm...

For "during the game" ... really simple and "one hand, gunk free" snacks. If the guys have eaten as well as I suspect they will have, if you all get along as well as I suspect you do, and if you have a few beverages on hand as I suspect you will ... the snacks need not be stunning ... they should be a side-event. A few bowls of salted nuts, and then break out the profiteroles. Just get a big bin of them frozen at Costco or wherever, and let them thaw when the guys get over ... dang, those is good.

Top Bottom