What's new

LASSC BBS-1 Help?

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I am getting sub-par shaves from my BBS-1. I normally use a AS-D2 / feather combo, as I have hair that necessitates a lot of blade buffing. I can get BBS with my AS-D2; I cannot with the BBS-1.

So far, I have tried using Gillette SBs, Astras, and feathers. The closest I was able to get to my AS-D2 performance was with the feather, however, it was nowhere near as good.

Any tips/tricks regarding best cutting angle would be much appreciated. If I don't figure this out within the next week or two I am going to send it back!

I've had the same poor shaves from the bbs1 as well. I've got the #3 serial number so I was thinking it was a design fault from one of the first razors. It seems that maybe that's not the case, considering your problems. I hope you find a solution.

I've read nothing but really good things about these razors and it's one I've been wanting to try. I've been on the waiting list for a while now but they sell out as fast as they come back into stock. Feel free to send them my way for testing purposes.

Seriously though, put the cap on your face and slowly lower the handle until you start to hear it cutting. That's the angle I'd start with. Shave in silence and listen to the razor cut for feedback.

I've heard these are somewhat aggressive and the AS-D2 is considered very mild. This thing should get you to BBS way easier than the Feather razor without all of the blade buffing. So I suspect that you might be too high on the cap and not finding the proper angle.

Good luck.

I find this surprising given all the great reviews and the generally wonderful workmanship of these razors. I hope you get it figured out. That's a lot of money to pay for a razor that doesn't work for you.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Luckily, I can send it back for a refund if I don't like it. It was so very hard to get that I will try it for at least 5 or 6 more shaves!

Seriously though, put the cap on your face and slowly lower the handle until you start to hear it cutting. That's the angle I'd start with. Shave in silence and listen to the razor cut for feedback.

As an owner (and lover) of the BBS1, I would NOT recommend this. The razor loves a steep (razor handle close to your face) angle. This might be counter intuitive - especially if you are used to vintage razors. And of course I can highly recommend Voskhod Blades ;)

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
As an owner (and lover) of the BBS1, I would NOT recommend this. The razor loves a steep (razor handle close to your face) angle. This might be counter intuitive - especially if you are used to vintage razors. And of course I can highly recommend Voskhod Blades ;)
That is actually very useful. I had tried a shallow angle (like with my AS-D2)and I just got horrible results. I will try a steep angle next...

The steep angle works for me too. I find that that the BBS-1 is very efficient & after a 3 pass (WTG, XTG ATG) shave, very little in the way of touching up is required.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Well, dang. After using the new angle with feather blades, it is much better, but still not all that great. DFS 3.5 passes. I will try with Voskhods tomorrow...

Yeah, considering all the great reviews for this razor, it sure makes me interested. It's a Wolfman!

Is there an update, or a decision to get rid of this razor?

Top Bottom