What's new

Back On The Forum

I'm back under a different username after a hiatus from the site. After getting into DE shaving, a lot of folks on here pretty much taught me how to get a good shave and I appreciated that since I regarded this forum as my most valuable source of good information.

But, I was always wondering about what I'd try next as far as hardware, software, etc. and decided to just shave with what I had for awhile. Doing so taught me that you can get a decent shave with just about anything that's not defective or of a really poor design or formula. I've overcome my acquisition disorders and don't always second-guess what I'm doing after reading about what some other person does.

I now have 10 razors (2 acquired from a forum member here: a 1918 Gillette Old Type Army Issue and a Tech), a couple of Superspeeds (flare tip and a slightly older one) I picked up at a flea market for $2 each, a Merkur 23C, a Merkur 37C, a Razorock Little Bastone, a Schick Krona (another flea market find) and a Muhle R41.

The 1918 Old Type used to be my favorite razor until I acquired the R41 (The Pretty Rosegold One). I used to rotate razors for the fun of it, but I haven't touched any of my razors since getting the R41. I truly do love that razor. But, I still have the others out on display in the bathroom along with some old brushes and a nice early-1900's-vintage shaving mug that belonged to my Great Uncle along with his old Rubberset brush. Alas, he died 20 years before I was even born so what became of his razors or even what he used is still a mystery. The mug even has his name on it which struck me as having probably been quite an extravagance back in the day. It doesn't really look like something he did himself: it came glazed that way.

With some more experience under my belt now, maybe I can offer some advice to folks the way people on here helped me out.

No better re-introduction than to proclaim my Favorite Shave Of All

Muhle R41
Personna Red or Feather blade
TOBS Grapefruit Shave Cream
Vulfix Best Badger Brush
Alum Block
Proraso Aftershave splash.

Never get tired of this combo.

Anyway, good to be back.

Eric

Great to have you along for the ride again. Sounds like you've found The One :thumbup1:

I'll shave with any of my razors and will most likely get back into somewhat of a rotation, but none of them give the same shave with fewer passes than the R41. For some reason, I find it hardest to get good shaves with the Tech. I've never fully mastered that thing. I would have to say my second favorite in the lineup is the Krona I just happened to spot in a box full of crap at a flea market. It cleaned up nicely and shaves very nicely.

Top Bottom