What's new

Valet Auto-strop

$image.jpg I picked this up for some change at an antique mall in Ohio's Amish country. Can anyone tell me what I have found? The box is not in great shape, but the razor and the blade seem fantastic. The leather strop is not brittle, but I'm not sure if I should unroll it.
I also acquired a Gem OCMM in plastic yellow gem travel case with cloth and original warranty card, and a really really old Gillette 3 piece in a case. Will post that pic later.
Any info is appreciated.
thanks

It'll be safe to use as long as it's not rusty or damaged. Have a look on You Tube for clips showing the strop being used. There's a fair few threads on this Forum about them and how to rejuvenate the strop. I haven't used the strop myself as I don't have one.

I have held it. The razor looks like some kind of medieval torture device. I am thankful that razors have evolved.

I like to leave an Auto-Strop in my shaving stand when I have house guests. It invariably elicits a "What on earth is that thing?" and they are amazed to find that I actually shave with it. :thumbup1:

--Bob

I'm not sure about the VC4 but the Valets that I have are adjustable with a little lever at the top of the handle / underneath the head. My experience is that they range from very mild to medium aggressive. I like the original blades (can be found on eBay sometimes) and I strop mine. A word about stropping: if you try and go too quickly, you'll wind up chopping the strop in half..
The good news is that it's easy to make your own with a piece of scrqp leather and some iron oxide...

I'm not sure about the VC4 but the Valets that I have are adjustable with a little lever at the top of the handle / underneath the head. My experience is that they range from very mild to medium aggressive. I like the original blades (can be found on eBay sometimes) and I strop mine. A word about stropping: if you try and go too quickly, you'll wind up chopping the strop in half..
The good news is that it's easy to make your own with a piece of scrqp leather and some iron oxide...
Thank you. I'm sure I can find the info on making a strop on here somewhere. The Tandy Leather company corporate is down the road and I'm sure I can get some scrap leather there.

Thank you. I'm sure I can find the info on making a strop on here somewhere. The Tandy Leather company corporate is down the road and I'm sure I can get some scrap leather there.

That's what I did.

Went to the local leather shop talked to the lady and showed her one of the originals and she picked me out a few nice pieces from her scraps bin. I took them and cut them to size. Made some for my Rolls Razors too. I have different ones with various types and grades of polish and dressings I swap out with the Rolls

Work great!

The originals are usually pretty sad shape, even NOS ones are pretty stiff and dried out after all these years. A good fresh piece of leather works better than trying to revive a long dead one.

Here is my VC2 that I got with two Valet blades.

Attachments

• $DSCN0367.jpg
    $DSCN0367.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 65
  • $DSCN0368.jpg
    $DSCN0368.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 65
  • $DSCN0373.jpg
    $DSCN0373.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 64
  • $DSCN0374.jpg
    $DSCN0374.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Um, side hinged blade holders and safety bar indicate that your razor is a VC4. A VC2 has an open comb and a blade holder hinged across the top. Nice looking razor.

--Bob

Did my first pass of today's shave with this one today. WOW!!! It is more aggressive than it looks!!! Smooth but aggressive. I also can tell the blade needs a little touch up on a strop, but overall it was a really cool experience.
Not nearly as aggressive as my GEM Micromatic OC. that thing will shave the bark off a tree!!!

If you're using the original blades, try a little bit of Iron Oxide powder on the surface of your strop. I mix mine with a touch of Fromm's, but I'll bet Lubriderm woild work as well.

Top Bottom