What's new

What was relaxing is now a bloody mess and ruins my day.

I have been de shaving for at least 10 years. I find De shaving relaxing and quite enjoyable. I have been trying to use a feather artist club japanese straight and it has been nothing but a nightmare. I know I am new at this, but with my de I learned the feather blade was not for me a long time ago and moved on to the personna med prep. This is only my 5th shave or so with this razor and it just puts me in a foul mood for the rest of the day. I dont even cut myself when I am moving the razor. It is when all is going well and i rinse the blade then go to put it back on my face and slice. Just touching it to my face gives me a cit. No movement nothing. Then I have to wait several days for the cuts to heal and then same damn thing happens again. Maybe it is the feather blades as I really cant stand them in my de or maybe it is just me, but something has to change or I am going to throw the damn thing away as it ruins my whole day.

I know exactly what you mean. It's very frustrating.

I believe the first problem is that shaving with a straight is just not that ergonomic. Let's face it, a straight was designed for a barber to shave the customer. The learning curve is much steeper than with a DE.

I'm also sure I would have a problem with the sharpness of a Feather blade. In my Parker SR1, I do better with a Shark or Derby blade than a Feather.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
The AC is a tough razor to use. A really light touch and a very steep angle are required. (for me at least). A traditional straight is much more forgiving and easier to use IMO.
When I have trouble with something I find it helps to put it away for a month or so and then come back to it.
Good luck

I have a custom straight on order, but thinking I might want to get a cheap straight to try and learn on vs this dang feather. I was doing well and pretty excited about the shave then wham a cut.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
I think learning on a cheap straight while you're waiting for your custom is a great idea. If you want a very nice skin friendly edge send it to Bayamontate for honing and ask for a coticule edge. These type edges aren't as hyper sharp like the feathers but still provide wonderful close shaves that want to cut whiskers, not skin.

Absolutely zero pressure and well-stretched skin are key to a successful Feather shave, especially on a new blade. You need to try to remove lather without touching skin. They are super sharp, no doubt; and any lateral movement will result in a scratch or worse. But once learned, they shave as closely as any other razor (but not as comfortably, imo).

I have been de shaving for at least 10 years. I find De shaving relaxing and quite enjoyable. I have been trying to use a feather artist club japanese straight and it has been nothing but a nightmare. I know I am new at this, but with my de I learned the feather blade was not for me a long time ago and moved on to the personna med prep. This is only my 5th shave or so with this razor and it just puts me in a foul mood for the rest of the day. I dont even cut myself when I am moving the razor. It is when all is going well and i rinse the blade then go to put it back on my face and slice. Just touching it to my face gives me a cit. No movement nothing. Then I have to wait several days for the cuts to heal and then same damn thing happens again. Maybe it is the feather blades as I really cant stand them in my de or maybe it is just me, but something has to change or I am going to throw the damn thing away as it ruins my whole day.

As others have mentioned, absolute ZERO pressure is needed with a very steep angle. I use KAI Titan Mild blades in both a Feather AC and KAI folding razor and it's the best shaving system for me. My first couple of feather shaves were a nightmare though.

If you decide to throw it away, make sure you put it in a mailbox with my address on it! :lol:

Good luck!

I've also heard that the feathers are very touchy. I can't speak from experience but I know from others on this forum that this is a very common issue. I'd try a nice vintage 5-8 hollow and see what you think before throwing in the towel.

wow, what a thread!
cannot understand, since I would never classify myself as a really expert straight shaver!
however, I consistently get smooth, irritation- and nick-free shaves from my feather artist club with feather proguard blade.
essentially on par with my Weber, Gillette Tech and Feather ASD2 safety razors.
and pretty much the same with the similar Kai straights.

$martin de candre truefitt hill myrsol feather cade baux august 25 2014.jpg

Not all FAC's are born equal and neither are the Feather blades. It's helpful to let folks know which FAC ya have and what blades.
The SS has a safety guard built in which the others don't and the Feather blades are different depths meaning blade exposure varies
by type. That affects shaving angle.

what is your prep?

Today was hot shower and used dove men's soap on face. Then applied limes skin food and then lather. After each pass I used skin food to add lubrication.. I need to get a preshave oil instead of the skin food.

Today was hot shower and used dove men's soap on face. Then applied limes skin food and then lather. After each pass I used skin food to add lubrication.. I need to get a preshave oil instead of the skin food.
Easy, just use some olive oil! You can make a mixture of 75% olive oil and 25% castor oil and then add some fragrance or essential oil if you wish. Works as good as what you can purchase!

I dont even cut myself when I am moving the razor. It is when all is going well and i rinse the blade then go to put it back on my face and slice. Just touching it to my face gives me a cit. No movement nothing.

That is exactly when you'll cut yourself. A blade just touching the skin without moving is the recipe for a slice every time in my experience. I try to get my blade moving before it ever touches my face.

Last edited:

I don't like the oily feeling of preshave oil, I use a gel from Crown Shaving Co., Supreme Glide. I got it from WCS and it's improved my straight razor shaves, no irritation.

Don't give up. Maybe you should try shaving in the afternoon, after work? That helped me with the nerve part, of it. It's just too much to focus on at that early of an hour.

wow, what a thread!
cannot understand, since I would never classify myself as a really expert straight shaver!
however, I consistently get smooth, irritation- and nick-free shaves from my feather artist club with feather proguard blade.
essentially on par with my Weber, Gillette Tech and Feather ASD2 safety razors.
and pretty much the same with the similar Kai straights.

View attachment 574134

Not to hijack the thread but very cool shaver, I have been using various vintage straights for several months and am curious if the angle is different compared to a regular straight

Aye, when I started shaving with my SRs I would only do it on the weekend or in the evening so there was no rush and I could take my time with it. Now I have the routine fairly well fixed I can do it in 30 mins or so from start to finish. But if I had to try to learn while having one eye on the time and my mind on the day ahead...............no thanks.

Rather than a pre-shave product, have you looked at getting your lather wetter? Compared to what is acceptable for a DE shave, SR lather can be a touch more demanding.

When I first started I would get all kinds of lines on !y face and neck. It looked like cat scratches. It was due to placing the blade on the skin and then starting the stroke. I was told to start with confidence. Once you commit to the stroke follow through. I know this is hard if you have been bit a few times.

Top Bottom