What's new

Tips & Techniques - All Things Cooking Related

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Another tip from Ouchco's Division of Low Tech Solutions to High Tech Problems:

Everyone loves to cook on cast iron pans (I prefer to use them outdoors on my grill for the smoke/wife factor), but what do you do when dealing with food on skewers that are too long to fit in the pan?

Simple- turn the pan upside down. Now cooking on the bottom of the pan may seem crazy, but you have simply created a cast iron plancha. I do this when I prepare White Manna styled sliders, and it's much easier to smash the meat with a spatula when the sides aren't in the way.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I use one of these all the time. Haven't tried it on the grill/pit though.

$lodge-reversible-grill-griddle.jpg

.....I should have made my user name Plancha.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I have that on my wish list. The wife has even given her permision..............like I need that. LOL

Chris, I use mine all the time. I place it over two gas burners, so the middle is somewhat cooler. Pancakes, hamburgers, shrimp, pork chops. It's great when the grill outside is either soaked with rain or covered in snow. Wait...I don't get snow. Um...laziness.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Chris, I use mine all the time. I place it over two gas burners, so the middle is somewhat cooler. Pancakes, hamburgers, shrimp, pork chops. It's great when the grill outside is either soaked with rain or covered in snow. Wait...I don't get snow. Um...laziness.

I thought about getting one a year ago but with my electric top that was not sitting flat it would have been hard to heat.
Rain I understand, it will be a great winter tool indeed.

It's on my wish list, too. Thinking it would be great for camping.

I would think a couple of rocks either side on a fire/coals would be good. Ontop of a cast iron double gas cooker would be perfect.

Best way to get "easy peel" eggs is using a pressure cooker, it separates the membrane from the egg

1. Fill the cold pressure cooker with one cup of water. Add steamer basket or trivet and steamer basket, and egg. Close and lock the pressure cooker.
  2. Set the pan to cook on low pressure. Turn the heat up to high and when the pan has reached LOW pressure, lower the heat to medium and begin your timer: 3 minutes for a soft, 5 minutes for medium egg, and 6 minutes for a hard cooked egg.
  3. When the time has elapsed, open the pressure cooker. For soft and medium boiled eggs, use the Quick Cold Water Release. Bring the pressure cooker to the sink and run cold water over the top without obstructing valves to bring the pressure down quickly. For hard boiled eggs, use the Natural Release Method. Move the pressure cooker to a cool burner and wait for the pressure to come down naturally (about 5 minutes). If in 5 minutes the pressure has not released the lock on the pressure cooker, release the rest of the vapor through the valve.
  4. Open the pressure cooker and place the egg in a container under cold running water, for about 1 minute if you would like to serve them warm and 3 minutes to cool down completely.

Another tip from Ouchco's Division of Low Tech Solutions to High Tech Problems:

Everyone loves to cook on cast iron pans (I prefer to use them outdoors on my grill for the smoke/wife factor), but what do you do when dealing with food on skewers that are too long to fit in the pan?

Simple- turn the pan upside down. Now cooking on the bottom of the pan may seem crazy, but you have simply created a cast iron plancha. I do this when I prepare White Manna styled sliders, and it's much easier to smash the meat with a spatula when the sides aren't in the way.

proxy.php

Or get one of these guys. Fits on a regular burner and you don't have to deal with the sides. This pan is the MOST used pan in my entire kitchen.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Don't throw out your cheese rinds. Freeze them. They can be added to broths or soups for an added dimension of flavor.

$66512.jpg

Here is spice/herb/seasoning tip that I live by.
Always know what a particular spice/herb/seasoning taste like by itself before using it in or on your food.

Here's another tip I learned from observing my father.
Never deal fry a turkey while it's raining unless you're wearing the proper protective attire for such adventurous cooking.

Here's another tip I learned from observing my father.
Never deal fry a turkey while it's raining unless you're wearing the proper protective attire for such adventurous cooking.

Never grill in the rain using a deeply concave umbrella. I nearly gassed myself....

Top Bottom