What's new

RAD: Scored 5 vintage razors and hone

I visited a local antique shop and scored four new razors. The 5th (Boker) came from the bay. Of course, I immediately polished them up with my Dremel and Mother's Mag. All are now shave ready.

Top to bottom:
  1. Case Brothers, Little Valley, NY (Unknown vintage, Nice wooden handle)
  2. Frederick Reynolds, Sheffield "Prince Albert's Royal Patent Razor". Most of the etching is long gone, so i didn't feel too bad polishing this one. (C. 1850's-60s)
  3. Frederic Wallace, Sheffield "Standa. No." (C. 1850s-1860s). Also Missing most of the etching.
  4. Parker Chemical Company, Germany. This one was the cheapest of the bunch and had a frown and was covered in rust. I had fun removing that with the dremel and honing this one to a straight edge. Very good practice.
  5. H. Boker & Co. 800. There is no "Solingen" mark or Tree logo on this one.
$IMG_0005.jpg

Last edited:
I have no idea what the grit of this hone is. But it is very fine. The coffin shaped box holds Two razors, and the Frederick Reynolds and Frederic Wallace razors came together in this one. The Case Brothers Razor came in the brown box, and the dilapidated dark colored box held the Parker chemical company razor.
$IMG_0009.jpg

The Two Sheffield razors are huge wedges, and it took forever to hone them. But the Frederick Reynolds is possibly the smoothest shaver in my growing collection.

That hone looks like a Charnley Forest, and I like straights #2 & #3.

Charnley forest? Could be. I'll have to research that maker. #2… The Frederick Reynolds "Prince Albert royal patent" is an awesome razor. It has taken the place of my Wade and Butcher as my favorite. It is a huge wedge. Love it.

Top Bottom