What's new

need help identifying a razor - not much to go on (terrible photo)

Hi everyone,

i seen this razor on an online marketplace, and my offer has been accepted.
Funnily enough, I have no idea what it is. looks like open comb (which I wanted) other than that the only info is the photo and the owrd gillette in the description.

any ideas?

$$_84.JPG

Looks like at least one side has a closed comb, probably both. I wouldn't be surprised if the guys here can identify it, but you might have to wait and post more pics once you get it.

I can't see that being anything Gillette? Maybe a very cool vintage Merkur? I'm assuming very vintage German anyway, given the handle and what appears to be a head sort of in the shape of a Yuma.

I think it is a Durex, like Edgar said. The head looks kind of like the old Punktal, which is also a German razor, but the handle is quite different.

just found a remarkably similar razor online called a 'rosemary'. a least thats what it says it in the description- comes with rosemary blades that have german 'rasierklingen' on it.

google image search denies their existence....

cant wait to get mine - whatever it is :)

Last edited:
FYI, we're not supposed to talk about ongoing live auctions, it's against the TOU.

The brand of the blades and the brand of the razor aren't necessarily the same, and most likely the blades weren't originally sold with the set. Sellers just put them together.

You'll find many German razors with the same head and different handles. I'm not sure who was the supplier, but different Solingen brands used this head with their own handles.

Last edited:
just found a remarkably similar razor online called a 'rosemary'. a least thats what it says it in the description- comes with rosemary blades that have german 'rasierklingen' on it.

google image search denies their existence....

cant wait to get mine - whatever it is :)

I owned a couple of Rosemary razors. The bottom of the handle will have Rosemary printed on it if it is a Rosemary. They are made of Zamak, and they are pretty much identical to the Durex as far as I can tell.

the razor came in the post today, Ive tried a number of different cleaning methods but I think this one may be too far gone.

$IMG_1290 (Medium).jpg$IMG_1291 (Medium).jpg$IMG_1295 (Medium).jpg

2 before and one after cleaning pic.

A blade seems to line up relatively good and it closes tight. Do you think its safe to use?

heres another 2 pics. if you're sure its not 'instant face amputation' ill give it a whirl.

$IMG_1298 (Medium).jpg$IMG_1299 (Medium).jpg

Top Bottom