What's new

WD 22mm synthetic. Wow

I was looking for another travel brush. After hearing all the great things about Larry's new synthetic brushes I shot him off an email. He said he was out of the 24mm knots but should have some more in a few months. Rats!!
But I got to thinking that a smaller brush would probably be better for travel so I ordered a 22mm. I don't like a super floppy brush so I asked him to sink it an additional 5mm. Larry emailed back and didn't recommend that. He said the deepest he would feel comfortable with would be an additional 3mm. Since he is the Grand Poobah I did as he said.
The brush arrived today. My first thought was that I thought it would be smaller. I whipped up some lather and grabbed my razor.

$SAM_0920.jpg

I was already lathered up before I thought of grabbing the camera. Here she is next to an Omega boar and the Plisson synthetic.

$SAM_0919.jpg

I love this brush! It feels similar to the Plisson, maybe a little softer. Is had no problem whipping up a great lather. I face lather and this picture is with a face full of lather already removed. My WD badger is 24mm so I was afraid that this would be too small but it is not. The only thing that was different, not bad but different, is that the center felt pointier. I don't know if this is a 22mm thing or because I dropped the knot an extra 3mm. As I said not bad just different than my larger knots.

I told Larry to let me know when the 24mm come back in stock. I may just ignore that email. I'm really so satisfied with this thing that I don't think I would be gaining anything with a larger brush.

Last edited:
I received the 24mm WD synthetic from Larry about a month ago after reading many great reviews about the latest synthetic knot he has switched too. I had a older WD synthetic from almost 2 years ago that I thought was too springy & didn't splay that well & PIFed it to a friend but I was curious about his newer knots. All I can say, WOW! This latest synthetic blows the last one he had out of the water & I often now reach for it more than my Plisson brush. The new knots are top knotch & on par with the Plisson IMO! :thumbup::thumbup:

All I can say, WOW! This latest synthetic blows the last one he had out of the water & I often now reach for it more than my Plisson brush. The new knots are top knotch & on par with the Plisson IMO! :thumbup::thumbup:

I honestly think the new Whipped Dog synthetic knots are better than the Plissons.

They are almost as good as the Edwin Jagger Silvertip Fibre, in my opinion.

YMMV as always!

I was surprised that Larry said that the 22mm is his least popular. I think it is so easy to fall into the bigger is better mentality.

FYI Nathan Clark at Envy Shave is using the same knots as well. I just got two more 24s from him. One of them is goin in a handle that I ordered from Larry drilled just like yours and the other is going to Peter Wolf at Wolf Whiskers for a custom. Coincidentally Peter also just posted on his FB page a couple of days ago that he has also gotten a bunch of these knots from Nathan. They are seriously good knots. Especially at the price. I also have a 24 set at normal loft that I got a few weeks agog rom Larry.

Last edited:
Top Bottom