What's new

AS to pair with DRH Arlington

As much as I like the scent of the soap and cream I'm dragging my feet about buying the Arlington AS splash, ~$40 is a trifle high for 100 ml. Tonight I shaved with the cream and followed up with Fine L'Orange Noir because so many people said the scent is a lot like citrus. I think those are somewhat less than an ideal pairing. In the meantime, can anyone suggest a temporary splash that is anywhere close?

I've never seen that around here Mike but I'll keep that in mind in case I do. And since you are in KY it can't be too far away, I live 10 miles from the border.

See if you can find 4711 AS or even the Cologne. It is an almost perfect match.

I have some still in the box but I've never opened it. It's the cologne or EdT, definitely not the AS which I didn't know existed until I bought what I have. The AS is on my list too. Thanks, I'll try that tomorrow.

Aqua Velva goes great with just about anything, including Arlington!

$image.jpg

I will say that DRH scents don't linger though, so it doesn't need to be paired, unless you want the Arlington scent. Which is awesome and convinced me to splurge.

Awesome indeed and they make a large range of other products with that scent e.g. deodorant, shampoo, etc.

Forget about the money. Just buy the Arlington AS. It's smell delicious, it's slightly menthol and, in my opinion, best scent for the summer months. You will love this stuff!

Forget about the money. Just buy the Arlington AS. It's smell delicious, it's slightly menthol and, in my opinion, best scent for the summer months. You will love this stuff!

I'm sure I'll eventually give in once I recover from my other recent splurge. The few products I have of theirs are all excellent. IMHO they are the benchmark for all the long established UK based companies of this sort.

I'm in the same boat as you. I have decided to order a tube of Arlington cream to go in my daily rotation, but now I am looking for a proper aftershave to pair with it.

If you are curious about the Arlington aftershave, order a sample of it from Maggard. I recently ordered samples of Windsor and Marlborough, but not Arlington, because it was not in stock. That being said, I'm not wowed with either scent, so I don't know if I will order the Arlington aftershave when it is back in stock. Even if it does turn out to be nice, $40 for a full bottle is a bit steep for me.

I think that Aqua Velva would pair just fine, but the thing is, Arlington is subtle enough that anything could be applied over it. It all comes down to how much diversity you want in the smells experienced during the shave.

In any case, my favorite aftershave lately is Fine Fresh Vetiver. I use it with everything, but in the case of Arlington, I think it mates well with that hint of fern/fougere or whatever you call it.

See if you can find 4711 AS or even the Cologne. It is an almost perfect match.

My friend, like you said 'almost perfect'. All I have is the cologne and I'll probably buy some of the AS. When I bought what I have I didn't realize they made both but I see it for sale on the usually mentioned online sites and it's not that expensive either. Thanks!

I will say that DRH scents don't linger though, so it doesn't need to be paired, unless you want the Arlington scent. Which is awesome and convinced me to splurge.

It's on my wish list right now. But I need to pick a couple more things to reach the free shipping minimum.

I'm in the same boat as you. I have decided to order a tube of Arlington cream to go in my daily rotation, but now I am looking for a proper aftershave to pair with it.

If you are curious about the Arlington aftershave, order a sample of it from Maggard. I recently ordered samples of Windsor and Marlborough, but not Arlington, because it was not in stock. That being said, I'm not wowed with either scent, so I don't know if I will order the Arlington aftershave when it is back in stock. Even if it does turn out to be nice, $40 for a full bottle is a bit steep for me.

I think that Aqua Velva would pair just fine, but the thing is, Arlington is subtle enough that anything could be applied over it. It all comes down to how much diversity you want in the smells experienced during the shave.

In any case, my favorite aftershave lately is Fine Fresh Vetiver. I use it with everything, but in the case of Arlington, I think it mates well with that hint of fern/fougere or whatever you call it.

Please take the advice of the others, 4711 is a winner. I'm curious about the other DRH scents anyway so I might hit Maggard's. I have Fine Fresh Vetiver so I might try that too. Vetiver and fougere are different scents but both are based on species of plants; fougere is based on ferns but I've forgotten where vetiver comes from.

+1 ... although I've never tried 4711 myself, its the first thing that came to mind if you're looking for a classic lemony scent.

My sense of smell is not that acute (long term tobcco user) but Arlington + 4711 seems like a winner. I don't get lemon from it but I'd definitely call it citrusy. Thanks for your comment.

Top Bottom