What's new

How many pens do you keep inked up?

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I was just curious as to how many of your pens do you fine folks keep inked up at any given time? All of them? Just a few?

Typically at least two and no more than six. If I'm traveling, it might get down to one. Today it's five.

Except that I cheat. I don't count several Pilot Varsities which sit around half forgotten until I pick one up on a whim, and find that it still starts right up after several months.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
One here.

I had 2 inked once and one of them leaked and dried up. Now just one

• Love
Reactions: Anu

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Too many, I really should empty and flush several that aren't being used regularly. But I do carry several with me most days.

One or two typically but have a couple pens with Pendleton Brown. Once I get those back i'm sure the'll be inked immediately :)

Currently four. I rotate use of each and don't see the point of having a pen that isn't ready to write at any time.

Each has a different color ink for different uses.

I have eight at the moment. I'm pretty new to the fountain pen hobby and bought several inexpensive Chinese pens within a couple of months time. I'd ink up most of the pens I had and wrote with one or another of them during the day. When I reached about 20 pens, I forced myself to clean and store most of them. Ideally, I'd like to have no more than 4 or 5 inked and ready to write. Then when one runs out of ink, I'll clean it and decide whether to re-ink it or choose one that is stored to put to work.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Just a few so they don't dry out through non-use. And a couple in the truck. And a few more that I inked up and haven't finished the ink yet. Plus a couple Vanishing Points. And three at home for my journal. And ...

Not too many. Only 13, plus my 7 Pilot Varsities that rarely see use.

Here's my current line-up. The Sheaffer 440 is about empty and the 78G and Viewpoint will be flushed shortly if I don't get them used up soon.

Sheaffer 440J. Herbin Violette Pensee
Pilot 78G - Black BBPelican Blue Black
Sheaffer Viewpoint, Fine NibSheaffer Black Scrip
Pilot Metropolitan Bronze LizardAnderson Appleton Red
Platinum 3776Pilot Iroshizuku Shin-ryoku
Waterman ThorobredDiamine Burgundy Rose
Waterman 94Unknown Brown Ink
Sheaffer Imperial Deluxe II FineParker Black Quink
Parker UrbanJ. Herbin Bleu Nuit
Delta ItalianaJ. Herban Eclat de Saphir
Kaweko AL SportKaweko Royal Blue Cartridge
Faber-Castell 5564Sailor Jentle Blue Black