What's new

Malted vinegar on Fries

Sorry I have been posting here quite a bit.

I need some help with a disagreement with the wife. Some where along the line I have acquired the taste of vinegar on my French fries with as ton of salt, especially malted vinegar! I told my wife I picked it up from living in northern Maine. My wife, who is from Northern Maine says that it isn't a Northern Maine thing. So I told her it must be a New England thing, she still calls me crazy! I have lived in the upper Midwest and Upstate NY but I don't think I picked it up from either of them places.

So does anyone enjoy this? Does anyone know the origins of such a fine combo?

If, by fries, you mean chips - then lashings of salt and malt vinegar is the obvious complement. Even better with battered cod (or haddock), wrapped up in paper.

proxy.php

If, by fries, you mean chips - then lashings of salt and malt vinegar is the obvious complement. Even better with battered cod (or haddock), wrapped up in paper.

proxy.php

:thumbup1: There is a place by Heathrow called The Whitehorse, I am a regular there and their fish and chips is to die for.

I used to eat at a Steak Escape and kept noticing they don't serve any fish but there was always Malt Vinegar beside the ketchup, salt, pepper, etc. I finally remembered to ask an employee how are we supposed to use that and he said pour some on the fries. I tried that and I like it. I've always shaken some on my fried fish at the various quickie seafood places and I like that too.

Maybe one of the Brits on here has an idea about the actual origin?

I used to eat at a Steak Escape and kept noticing they don't serve any fish but there was always Malt Vinegar beside the ketchup, salt, pepper, etc. I finally remembered to ask an employee how are we supposed to use that and he said pour some on the fries. I tried that and I like it. I've always shaken some on my fried fish at the various quickie seafood places and I like that too.

Maybe one of the Brits on here has an idea about the actual origin?

It originated in Britain.:thumbup:

No idea but a lot of fries/chips condiments are vinegar based anyway eg mayonnaise, brown sauce, sauce Tartar.

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
It originated in Britain.:thumbup:

No idea but a lot of fries/chips condiments are vinegar based anyway eg mayonnaise, brown sauce, sauce Tartar.

Yep, I think it is a carry over from colonial days. I don't care for salt, but I will do pepper and malt vinegar.

I think it's a New England thing. The only place I have seen it on the table everywhere you go was in Vermont. I do see it in some fish restaurants for the fish and chips. Never tried it, but it's probably pretty good. Now to gross you out, I had a girlfriend once that put mayonnaise on fries (yuk!!!). But I think that's a Holland thing.

Top Bottom