What's new

The Poutine Has Landed

proxy.php

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Outstanding! I've only had it in a handful of places, but my favorite poutine comes from Mamo Burger Bar in Windsor, ON.

I suppose it is close enough to Canada.

View attachment 573522

Best to remember that poutine is actually a Quebecois food. So Canadian, yes, but regional/cultural. Kind of like that old Pace Picante Sauce commercial where they make fun of salsa made in New York City, the best stuff tends to come from people with the cultural background to really understand it and "do it right".

Must be available somewhere in NY City, although I've never seen a "Canadian" restaurant. What is Canadian cuisine, anyway, aside from poutine and maple syrup?

Canadian cuisine is a lot like American cuisine ... mostly imports. And regional specialties.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Canadian cuisine is a lot like American cuisine ... mostly imports. And regional specialties.
I think people forget that Canada, like the US, is a country of immigrants. That leads to great culinary diversity, IMO.

Best to remember that poutine is actually a Quebecois food. So Canadian, yes, but regional/cultural. Kind of like that old Pace Picante Sauce commercial where they make fun of salsa made in New York City, the best stuff tends to come from people with the cultural background to really understand it and "do it right".

Would you say Montreal is the poutine capital?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I would say it is, since Monreal is the cultural center of everything Québécois

Not the way "Naples = pizza" in Italy, but you certainly get a better shot at getting the best food joints in the big city.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Well, if you ever find yourself between Clinton and 100 Mile, be sure to stop at the Sugar Shack.

Quebecois casse-croutes (snack bars) run the gamut from the most awful garbage sorts of fast foods to excellent little diners. If you want an excellent homemade poutine, try the Resto Casse Croute St. Jovite, on the Rue de St. Jovite, in the town of the same name, about an hours drive or so north of Montreal, west end of town, south end of the street. Great rondeles des oignons, (onion rings) too!

Top Bottom