What's new

Gillette New long comb vs. Merkur 1904 or other mild razor

I've been using a Merkur 33C for a while now...get the occasional bleeder/nick along the way with a very loose grip on the razor, letting the weight of the razor do the work, etc....

In the journey of old-school shaving, I've also purchased a Weishi/VDH/MTO razor which is extremely mild. While a lot of guys on the board say it's too mild, I can agree to a point because it takes a lot more time to reduce the whiskers to a BBS. But it's a cut/nick/bleed-free shave.

With that in mind, I'm going with a mild razor for the long run. I'm eyeing a Merkur 1904 which is considered pretty mild or a Gillette New with a long comb (not the shorter one) as a go-to razor. There's a lot of the Gillettes on the the web, some more expensive than others...but I'm not considering cost as a factor in the decision.

I would appreciate any input on these two against each other (if you have use both) or any other razor that might compare. Thanks a bunch.

I'm a huge fan of the NEW. It's much milder than people think it is.
I tried the Merkur once and put it up for sale the very next day. To me it was a very disappointing razor. However, I know there are guys out there that love it. It was the absolute worst combination to me, mild and harsh at the same time. The NEW is the opposite, efficient and yet smooth.

I'm curious about the LC vs SC NEW. Why LC?

From everything I've read, the SC is a little more agressive (by a margin) than the LC. I have some pretty sensitive skin in the chin/below the lip corner area and need to keep the razors in the mild department. I don't want to develop RAS (Razor Acquisition Syndrome) and just buy one razor after another. So, with the limited purchases I've made, I'm going with a mild approach and trying to rely on feedback and research.

I have and use both a long comb and a Shrot comb NEW and I can't tell any difference myself. The long comb might be a bit milder if you have an angular jawline or chin due to the extra protection afforded by the longer teeth. But on my fairly rounded face it doesn't make much difference which one I use. They both give me two pass BBS shaves with an excellent smoothness that no other razor can match on every shave. But as my signature says, I haven't found a vintage Gillette that I don't like. The two NEW razors that are in my daily rotation get about 80% of the shaving time in my shave den. The remaining 20% goes to various other vintage Gillettes like the Super Speed, the Super Adjustable, the Tech, the Knack , and a lady Gillette.

i don't think you could go wrong with either choice.

I haven't been able to find a NEW where I live, but I have the Merkur OC and it's very mild. I struggle to get a BBS with it. With mild razors you need to get the angle right for them to work well and I'm still working on my technique. You could always shim it to make it a bit more aggressive.

A lot of people recommend the Parker 24c / 26c. It has a reputation of being a non aggressive smooth shaver. The RazoRock Rake uses the same head design from what I've read. I ordered a Parker, but I'm still waiting for it - our postal system makes snails look fast.

I own both a New LC and a Merkur 15c (same head as the 1904). All I can say is for the people who refer to the LC as mild, I'd hate to see what they call aggressive. For me the LC is way more aggressive. And it doesn't have a very intuitive angle. I much prefer the merkur. I think it is physically impossible to cut yourself with that razor!

Having said that it might be too mild. It can be hard to get a close shave. Maybe try a Parker 24/26. I've heard plenty of good things about those.

I found the NEW kind of scary until I got the angle. Compared to the super speeds, I really had to adjust the handle to be more parallel to the floor. After that, all set! I haven't cut myself with it or anything. I still don't like it with sharp blades (GSB in the NEW felt like overkill).

Last edited:
I like the New LC with the heavier bar handle. One of my favorites! Very effective but mild, but not as mild as the Tech. Fabulous razor!

Attachments

• $$_57.jpg
    $$_57.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 67
I don't understand why some people find the NEW aggressive. I once described it as a Tech with a comb, and I still feel that way. It is more efficient than a Tech, to be sure, but I don't really think of it as more aggressive. Once you find and keep the proper angle, it's smooth like butter.

I don't understand why some people find the NEW aggressive. I once described it as a Tech with a comb, and I still feel that way. It is more efficient than a Tech, to be sure, but I don't really think of it as more aggressive. Once you find and keep the proper angle, it's smooth like butter.
+1 If I had to have 1 razor this might be my choice.

Top Bottom