What's new

New DE shaver from Ontario - Comments and Questions

Hi all - Been lurking on the forum for a bit and thought I'd share a few notes (and questions) 3 weeks in.

I've been using a Phillips electric razor for years. Truth is, it gives me the closest shaves I've ever had. The issue is finding the Nivea cartridges that go with it. They seem to be getting more difficult to find, and I considered going back to cartridge shaving. That brought me to the Harry's site, and eventually links to this obscure thing called "DE" shaving.

After doing some research, I decided on a Edwin Jagger DE89, Proraso cream (eucalyptus) and a "cheap" badger brush. I didn't want to spend too much to start. I also ordered a sample pack of blades. This was all though amazon.ca.

It took me over two weeks to even get somewhat comfortable with the process. When I started it was a 30 minute process. I've managed to get it down to about 15 now without rushing. At the start I was worried about slicing an artery (I know, silly). But I did manage to get the sink water fairly pink a few times. I had keep remembering to ease up on the pressure. In fact, I came up with acronym to remind myself ... PSA (Pressure, Stroke, Angle). Right now I'm doing WTG and XTG. I've started doing ATG on parts of my neck (more on that below).

There are good days and not so good days. The not good days I went too fast and, well, that's where the sink gets pink. Some days I didn't do a good job of checking afterward and felt the stubble in patches. I find the Derby Extra blades don't really agree with me. Lots of nicks. The Astra SP and Personna Red work well. I just started with a Gillette 7 O-Clock and I think that's been the best yet.

My questions are ...

1. What is considered a BSS? Is it when I feel with the grain after a shave? If so, then I'm getting pretty close shaves. If it's feeling against the grain then I need to practice.
2. What's the best method to shave on the jawline? I'm right handed, so can do a decent job on my right side. The left side takes a lot more work, and I repeatedly have to go over that part of my face many times even to get something half decent. I'm following Geofatboy's method of shaving (the neck) north to south on the first pass, then south to north on the second. It's that bony part of the jaw I'm having difficulty with. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Other than that I'm enjoying the experience. I did switch to the Nivea Sensitive shave cream - $3.29 at Walmart! I was surprised to see that price in Canada. The Proraso is ok but I'm finding the scent a bit medicinal.

1. I take it you mean BBS. Baby butt smooth. No sign of stubble. Different people have different ways of testing "not stubble". Some think a faceturbate AGT with the fingers qualifies. I've heard of some cottonball test, drag a cottonball AGT and no lint is caught. I think of BBS as getting in the shower after the shave and the face feels like it did pre-pubescent.
2. Jawline and chin are trouble spots. There is a video on youtube, How To Shave Your Trouble Spots. I do several passes and buffings, but apparently I do not have "sensitive skin". Repeated XTG on the chin, and a number of Gillette Slides, bullfrogs, stretching, and buffing along the jawline. Many repeat latherings in between. I've even bought an more aggressive razor (Mühle R41) with a Feather Blade, and it made only a marginal difference if any difference at all. I believe that in cartridge quick-shave days, I simply cared less if there was some stubble left.

Welcome fellow Canadian! I too like the nivea sensitive shave cream, its good stuff.

For the jawline, I have to blade buff after my normal two pass shave. I go close to ATG, flatten that part of my face some by pulling in my jaw a bit, and buff the jawline taking care to not go down my neck. Good way to clean that area for me after lathering just the jawline for that part. Hope it works for you!

Welcome to B&B!

1- I wouldn't worry about BBS shaves, they'll happen eventually. Even if they don't it's not a big deal. A DFS works for me, if it happens to be BBS, great! But comfort is more important, IMO.

2 - Blade buffing and skin stretching helped me with the jawline. Shaving a flat surface is much easier.

Welcome to B&B!

In my experience, BBS shaves they happen and they don't. To me the key thing is not to look like like someone splatter a tomato all over my face. I have learned when to stop and to take what I can get from the shave that day. But it is always fun to aim for perfection.:thumbup1:

Welcome to B&B!

1- I wouldn't worry about BBS shaves, they'll happen eventually. Even if they don't it's not a big deal. A DFS works for me, if it happens to be BBS, great! But comfort is more important, IMO.

2 - Blade buffing and skin stretching helped me with the jawline. Shaving a flat surface is much easier.

+1 - Edgar has it in a nutshell. :thumbup1: Warmest welcome to the forum....enjoy the journey!

+1 - Edgar has it in a nutshell. :thumbup1: Warmest welcome to the forum....enjoy the journey!

+1 as well, and welcome!

Going after a BBS is just asking for neck irritation, ease off and take what you can get. I tried ATG and chewed my neck up, changed to XTG and get about the same without the irritation.

-Stephen

Welcome to the group Yarpy! My family used to live in Quebec City, Quebec for a few years growing up. Canada was a nice place to live. I had to learn french to communicate at school & with our neighbors.

Thank you for deciding to try DE shaving. It's a form of shaving that does seem to be making a long overdue comeback. You've already received some great advice from others on getting a BBS shave. These type shave can be had with time & experience. You have to master the angles of WTG, XTG and ATG with your DE razor. Once you perfect holding the razor and hitting all the areas where you have whiskers remaining you should find all the stubble remaining.

Again, welcome to the group!

I never have trouble on the jawline. I guess I kind of look up towards the top of the mirror when I start shaving my neck. The skin kind of stretches a little bit, but it gives me a flat area to work with so I can maintain blade angle.

Welcome to B&B.

Welcome aboard, keep at it you will get there. Like others have mentioned don't worry about a BBS shave, a DFS is hard to beat....IMO

Welcome to B&B. People often ask if I'm Canadian when I tell them I'm flying to Ontario. My Ontario is about 50 miles east of Los Angeles!

Some good advice above. I would add that beard mapping helped me in key areas, including the chin and my left jawline (for some reason the right is no trouble). For me I do a back handed pass straight along the jawline, after WTG and ATG, and it cleans it up nicely.

There are several posts on beard mapping.

Again, welcome to B&B and enjoy the journey !

Hello and welcome. Great to have you here on B&B. Wander on over to the Hall of Fame and introduce yourself.

Welcome aboard, fellow Canuck. Like you, I'm right-handed yet unlike you, the left side of my face and neck end up smoother. I deal with my jawline with XTG strokes from the jawbone (mandible) towards the chin, relathering and XTG from the chin back towards the jawbone.
If you find yourself throughout the day feeling how smooth, or not so smooth, that morning's shave is holding up (facesturbating), consider it as beard mapping.
Check out italianbarber.com in Woodbridge I believe, for your supplies...great selection, excellent prices and amazingly fast delivery.

Top Bottom