What's new

British Excellence in Shaving

I am sure some of you are aware of the history of D. R. Harris, Taylor of Old Bond Street and Geo F. Trumper with regard to the history of shaving and gentleman's grooming. As these shops started become more prevalent in London and England in general, providing personal hygiene products, some customs (such as wigs) died out while other customs, such as getting barber shaves and caring for one's hair came into the spot light. This time period of the late 1700's to the early 1900's is a time of particular interest to me. This interest is what sparked my initial interest concerning wet shaving.

While I was spending my time in London, stoping by Jermyn st. was a absolute must! This street is renowned for Gentleman's style as well as grooming. On Jermyn st. you find shops like T. M. Lewin,
Hawes & Curtis, Harvie & Hudson and many other great Gentleman's tailoring. Also on Jermyn st. (or just off it) you find Taylor of Old Bond Street, Geo F. Trumper and D. R. Harris.

First, I had scheduled a traditional barber shave at Geo F. Trumper. While waiting I sampled every scent I could in the shop. To be honest I was disappointed when I found that I did not like the scents offered by Trumper. The few I found to be acceptable were their coral/rose, lavender and their lime scents. Luckily the coral is what the barber used for the shave. What an experience! Starting with the skin food and a hot
towel; my face was prepared very well. The coral cream felt great on my face. I was actually surprised that the barber seemed a little heavier handed with the razor than I was expecting, which at first did make me a little uncomfortable. But over all the shave was great! Post shave the barber used their lime scented skin food and AS, with a cold towel between the two. Getting a shave in one of the old time barber shops was a great experience. I loved it. (as a note I must clarify that the reason I disliked the scents was because I dislike musky smells, which musk was VERY prevalent in all the scents except the ones I specified. Because I have a sensitive sniffer I just didn't connect with any of the scents.)

Second, I stopped by Taylor of Old Bond Street. I already have their Jermin Street soap (of which I absolutely love the scent). I found the scents offered by TOBS to be more acceptable to my sensitive nose. Though, again, I didn't connect very well with the musk heavy scents. So, some of the traditional scents, such as the Sandalwood, I just had a hard time with. I did find Jermyn Street, Lavender, Mr. Taylor, coconut, peppermint and Rose scents were all quite nice. Eton college scent was on the verge of okay for my nose. The avocado scent was unpleasant and I found that the Almond, though not offensive to my nose, made my stomach feel queasy. I was very surprised at what scents I was liking the most, as they seem to be the ones a little less popular on the forum, as sandalwood and other musky scents tend to be the more popular. As expressed by many of you just because some are not as talked about as other products does not necessarily mean they are not popular, but everyone's mileage may vary with scents.

Third, D. R. Harris was next on my list. Before this trip I was very excited to purchase a soap from D. R. Harris, as many of you have nothing but great reviews for the soaps from D. R. Harris. I realized that because all the scents commonly spoken about like Sandalwood and Bay Rum, some of the popular scents from D. R. Harris would end up the same for me. However the musk in the D. R. Harris scents were not as bad. the only one I didn't particularly like was Arlington. Their Lavender and rose were the best out of the three, and Marlborough was okay. But I fell in love with the Windsor scent! Though it does have a faint musk to it the underlying scent is so wonderfully complex and sophisticated I couldn't resist it. That was the soap I chose to purchase.

So after smelling all of the scents offered by GFT, TOBS and DRH what are my favorites? Jermyn Street from TOBS is still my top choice of scent, followed by DRH Windsor. TOBS Mr. Taylor, DRH Lavender and Rose all three take third together.
(I understand that most of you will disagree with my choices for my top scents, but as usual YMMV. I hope my post wasn't to dreadfully dull.)
What are your top favorite scents for your soaps & creams? Or what was your experience with a barber shave?

Last edited:
I've had a shave at Trumper on Duke of York street (just off Jermyn), unfortunately it was during my beard phase so it was more of a trim and touch up. Even though it ws just a trim ti was a fantastic experience. I will get another someday.

Sounds like an excellent tour you had. I'm jealous.
One day I decided to have a barber shave in Ottawa where I was living at the time. Although the lotions and potions that the barber used were very nice, and he spent a fair amount of time on my shave, I felt it wasn't anywhere near as close as I get doing my own shaves.

I have a lovely female barber in town here that isn't hard on the eyes by any means. We chat about shaving when I'm getting my rapidly disappearing head hair trimmed down. Maybe one day I'll let her take her feather artist to my chinny chin chin.

Last edited:

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
That sounds wonderful, and it's something I missed the last time I was in London. Rest assured that I will not miss it again.

YMMV, is quite true. While I also love Trumper's Rose and Limes, DRH Arlington is among my favorite scents. That's why they make 'em all!

YMMV, is quite true. While I also love Trumper's Rose and Limes, DRH Arlington is among my favorite scents. That's why they make 'em all!

So true. I was actually really surprised when I found I liked the Arlington the least. I had been considering getting that scent before my trip. it is a good thing I didn't haha.

For me my favourites are:
TOBS Eton College, I just wish it was done in a soap format.
Dr Harris Windsor, Windsor as a place is close to my heart and is a great scent.
Geo Trumper, never tried one of their soaps but their Limes Skin Food is a staple in my den.

If you really like Dr Harris Windsor then you will love Fine Accountrements L'Orange Noir aftershave - it's the same scent.

I was down at Jermin Street a few days ago, wanted to buy some post exam supplies.
Was thinking to get the TOBS Coconut cream since wanted something with a stronger scent than the sandalwood puck, but I found that it wasn't strong enough so smelling the others only found the Grapefruit was enough to buy.
Also went into the shaving shop in Piccadilly Arcade to pick up some Proraso pre shave (the white, green tea one smells much nicer than the green, menthol).
Been to Geo Trumpers before but seemed more custom cart products to me.

Being a student the cost of a proper barber shave is far too much considering I can do it for pence... though one day one day I will.

I enjoy many of the traditional English houses:
Geo F. Trumpers - Soaps = Eucris and Violet (get lather and scent); cream = Spanish Leather; aftershave = Spanish Leather
TOBS - Creams = Avocado, and Eton College; soaps = Sandalwood soap, aftershave = Eton College
Dr. Harris - Marlborough soap, Arlington aftershave
Truefitt & Hill - soap Sandalwood, rose cream

So many great products

I have at least something from all the famous British firms, 3 Ts and D.R. Harris and so far DRH products are my favorites. My latest score was a few of their shampo bars that I'm anxious to try.

I forgot to add one of the best products that I have used is Dr Harris Lip Balm, it's really great stuff if you occasionally suffer with chapped lips.

That would be a fun thing to do if I was ever in London. Women shop for shoes guys shop for shaving supplies. Well my first traditional shave kind of happened by accident. I was going to college in Milwaukee WI. I needed a hair cut so walked a few blocks to a barber shop. I walked in got my hair cut and the next thing I know the barber chair is getting reclined and a hot towel is put on my face. When the towel came off I see the straight razor, I must say I was a little nervous. The hot lather went on and the shave commenced. I was trying to stay so still I didn't want to take a breath. When the shave was done I got a little aftershave thrown on. On that day I was treated to the best shave I ever had in my life.

That was what really got me into the idea of wet shaving or just the quest for the cleanest shave possible. Some years went buy and got sick of cartridge razors so I hit the internet and found all these wonderful sights that gave me all the info and resources I needed to get into wet shaving.

As far as scents go I am on a lime kick right now. I just got my TOBS #74 and Edwin Jagger Lime and Pomegranate shave soap in the mail on Friday. One shave in and I really like em.

Last edited:
Top Bottom