What's new

Santa Maria Novella Crema da Barba - First Impression

Hi Everyone! My GF just got back from a friend's wedding in Italy and she was very thoughtful and brought me back a few soaps and creams. One of which was Santa Maria Novella Crema da Barba. There has been a bit of discussion on this cream as of late, so I felt like adding this as a new thread in addition to being at the end of another one.

First Shave this morning, and I can say that my experience echoes that of RoyalPar1 (another thread). I used my Omega Boar brush (had to be italian boar for the maiden voyage) and loaded for about 30 secs. Don't think I pressed hard enough cause I didn't get enough into the brush for three passes and had to re-load halfway.

The TL; DR version: Two passes (WTG, ATG/XTG) and touch up, BBS/DFS. No nicks, and no razor burn or bumps on the neck. Basically as good and as comfortable as a shave gets for me. :thumbup:

Partly this could be that I hadn't shaved for three days since I had sinus surgery yesterday and I couldn't shave for two days prior. I usually have my best shave after a day or two of rest.

I don't have extensive experience with creams, but here's some creams I can safely say SMN is better than: Proraso Red, Proraso Green, TOBS, and Cyril Salter (rated #1 cream by B&B).

Here's where I think this cream really shines: protection. It gives me the same confidence that some of the best tallow soaps do. I perceive a lather's protection in a couple of ways:

1) How much pressure do you feel comfortable applying.

For me, if a lather makes me feel like I can safely use more pressure, then it is a protective lather. Granted this is only on one shave, and I was using one of my milder razors (56' Red Tip), but SMN seems to give me this feeling more than the creams I have used and as much as some of the best soaps.

2) How comfortable your "post-lather" strokes feel.

We all do it -- we make residual strokes on a an area of skin after we have swept away all the lather. We're essentially using the "residual" lubrication that the lather has left on our skin. Again, it may be the relatively low blade exposure of the Red Tip, but I felt like there was a residual slickness that allowed me to make multiple strokes on post-lathered skin.

Another area the SMN shone was post-shave feel. For a product without Lanolin or other superfats, it had a great post-shave feel, not "tight" in the way that some mass-product (e.g. TOBS) creams have made my face feel. In fact I did not use any aftershave.

The scent I found pleasing but very mild. This also could be that I can't smell very well because of my surgery.

Either way, I'll report back with more use, but I can say for now that this is the best cream I've used, at least as good as XPEC and maybe a little better. Of course YMMV, as always.

And Royalpar, you need to get a hard puck of Valobra. It's awesome! It's basically the same soap as C&S -- Valobra makes it for them. But since you love italian soaps, you owe it to yourself to have the original article. :thumbup1:

Very nice review surfshaver. You describd the scent as mild but how would you describe the scent? What would you say that its similar to?
I have my own opinion on the scent but I don't want to influence your description. I have used both SMN and the unscented version of XPEC(the older type,not the reformulated),and IMO,the XPEC was significantly better. XPEC is tops in my book but the SMN would probably make my top five. In the end,I know its all very subjective but that what makes this website so enjoyable !

Craig

Hi Everyone! My GF just got back from a friend's wedding in Italy and she was very thoughtful and brought me back a few soaps and creams. One of which was Santa Maria Novella Crema da Barba. There has been a bit of discussion on this cream as of late, so I felt like adding this as a new thread in addition to being at the end of another one.

First Shave this morning, and I can say that my experience echoes that of RoyalPar1 (another thread). I used my Omega Boar brush (had to be italian boar for the maiden voyage) and loaded for about 30 secs. Don't think I pressed hard enough cause I didn't get enough into the brush for three passes and had to re-load halfway.

The TL; DR version: Two passes (WTG, ATG/XTG) and touch up, BBS/DFS. No nicks, and no razor burn or bumps on the neck. Basically as good and as comfortable as a shave gets for me. :thumbup:

Partly this could be that I hadn't shaved for three days since I had sinus surgery yesterday and I couldn't shave for two days prior. I usually have my best shave after a day or two of rest.

I don't have extensive experience with creams, but here's some creams I can safely say SMN is better than: Proraso Red, Proraso Green, TOBS, and Cyril Salter (rated #1 cream by B&B).

Here's where I think this cream really shines: protection. It gives me the same confidence that some of the best tallow soaps do. I perceive a lather's protection in a couple of ways:

1) How much pressure do you feel comfortable applying.

For me, if a lather makes me feel like I can safely use more pressure, then it is a protective lather. Granted this is only on one shave, and I was using one of my milder razors (56' Red Tip), but SMN seems to give me this feeling more than the creams I have used and as much as some of the best soaps.

2) How comfortable your "post-lather" strokes feel.

We all do it -- we make residual strokes on a an area of skin after we have swept away all the lather. We're essentially using the "residual" lubrication that the lather has left on our skin. Again, it may be the relatively low blade exposure of the Red Tip, but I felt like there was a residual slickness that allowed me to make multiple strokes on post-lathered skin.

Another area the SMN shone was post-shave feel. For a product without Lanolin or other superfats, it had a great post-shave feel, not "tight" in the way that some mass-product (e.g. TOBS) creams have made my face feel. In fact I did not use any aftershave.

The scent I found pleasing but very mild. This also could be that I can't smell very well because of my surgery.

Either way, I'll report back with more use, but I can say for now that this is the best cream I've used, at least as good as XPEC and maybe a little better. Of course YMMV, as always.

And Royalpar, you need to get a hard puck of Valobra. It's awesome! It's basically the same soap as C&S -- Valobra makes it for them. But since you love italian soaps, you owe it to yourself to have the original article. :thumbup1:

I am so happy that you so elequently echoed my feelings on the creme. Yesterday i used Xpec in the morning and AdP when we went out and i used AdP again this morning. Tommorow i will use my ABC creme but i feel that i neednt buy anything else, i Love my SMN and now looking at AS Splashes, i have the SMN emulsion and am still debating with myself if i like it better than the AdP Balm

Hi Craig, I've heard that the old XPEC is the best cream ever. I used a sample of the new formulation unscented XPEC as my comparison to SMN, so your comparsion regarding the old XPEC is likely spot on.

I used SMN this morning and honestly I cannot smell the scent too well because I just had sinus surgery yesterday. But to me I get mostly the eucalyptus and menthol. But I can say the menthol is not enough to feel bracing on the skin at all. Will have to report back on the scent once I my sniffer is back to normal!

Hi Craig, I've heard that the old XPEC is the best cream ever. I used a sample of the new formulation unscented XPEC as my comparison to SMN, so your comparsion regarding the old XPEC is likely spot on.

I used SMN this morning and honestly I cannot smell the scent too well because I just had sinus surgery yesterday. But to me I get mostly the eucalyptus and menthol. But I can say the menthol is not enough to feel bracing on the skin at all. Will have to report back on the scent once I my sniffer is back to normal!

I agree with you surfshaver. That's the same scent I detect from SMN, a faint kind of Eucalyptus/Menthol. Its really not my favorite scent but its not strong or offensive to me. All in all, its a very good Italian cream. In fact,almost all of my favorite creams and soaps are Italian(with the notable exception of the wonderful Scottish Castle Forbes Lime and Lavender) You should try CF Lime sometime,if you haven't already.

Craig

I am so happy that you so elequently echoed my feelings on the creme. Yesterday i used Xpec in the morning and AdP when we went out and i used AdP again this morning. Tommorow i will use my ABC creme but i feel that i neednt buy anything else, i Love my SMN and now looking at AS Splashes, i have the SMN emulsion and am still debating with myself if i like it better than the AdP Balm
I take it the consistency/texture of SMN [not lathered] is a bit softer than that of the ABC cream/croap ?

You should try CF Lime sometime,if you haven't already.

Craig

Craig, I have been on the verge of ordering this several times. How would you describe the scent of this compared to GFT Limes? I have been dissuaded by the many comparisons to lime candy.

I'm not Craig, but whilst awaiting his reply, I'd be happy to offer some comments on these items, having used both myself. Firstly, to my olfactory senses, GFT Limes emits a very artificial scent [but not all that unpleasant necessarily] and more 'yellow lime' like in contradistinction to CF which emits a deeper, more present note, of pleasant authentic Lime [green], imho. To the heart of your query, if you're concerned about the scent of CF Lime being akin to lime candy, I would say, well, mmm, maybe, kinda, sorta, but, the Lime essence [cut-open green lime sitting in a warm environment] is what captures my senses way more than any 'candy' part. ymmv of course. Note: another reviewer states on 'oldtownshaving' that CF Lime "smells like lime-burning-toxic" :scared:. I humbly but vehemently disagree, and will say that CF lime fills the shaving room with a pleasant intoxicating natural aroma. As scents are so pervasively subjective, I cannot guarantee your satisfaction, but know that at the very least the CF lime incorporates real lime oil essence, irrespective of the sniffer's take. Good luck. Happy lathering !​

Last edited:
I take it the consistency/texture of SMN [not lathered] is a bit softer than that of the ABC cream/croap ?

I would say they are about the same, i purchased a empty plastic from Mystic Waters which is really great and screw top and put my ABC into this and molded it by hand. SMN is also fairly firm, both will last a very long time. They are much firmer than a ABC creme, CF, or AdP or Xpec and will last longer IMHO.

I also agree with Craig, the smell is NOT very strong but you do pick up the Eucalyptus/Menthol for smell i am not sure if anything really beats CF with their essential oils and smells. Personally i do not look at the scent of any soap for a conclusion on the way it performs. i.e I feel that ABC hard soap is the finest soap on the market, however i do not pick up any scent in mine, certainly not the almond which i pick up in their creme.

I'm not Craig, but whilst awaiting his reply, I'd be happy to offer some comments on these items, having used both myself. Firstly, to my olfactory senses, GFT Limes emits a very artificial scent [but not all that unpleasant necessarily] and more 'yellow lime' like in contradistinction to CF which emits a deeper, more present note, of pleasant authentic Lime [green], imho. To the heart of your query, if you're concerned about the scent of CF Lime being akin to lime candy, I would say, well, mmm, maybe, kinda, sorta, but, the Lime essence [cut-open green lime sitting in a warm environment] is what captures my senses way more than any 'candy' part. ymmv of course. Note: another reviewer states on 'oldtownshaving' that CF Lime "smells like lime-burning-toxic" :scared:. I humbly but vehemently disagree, and will say that CF lime fills the shaving room with a pleasant intoxicating natural aroma. As scents are so pervasively subjective, I cannot guarantee your satisfaction, but know that at the very least the CF lime incorporates real lime oil essence, irrespective of the sniffer's take. Good luck. Happy lathering !​

This is Craig and I absolutely agree with everything you stated here amey. For me, CF Lime is head and shoulders above all the other lime scented creams on the market. CF makes a superlative product. I've used it for many years.

Craig

Craig, thanks for the heads up re: CF. A lot of people seem to agree that CF Lime is amazing. Have to add it to the must try list now I'm on the slippery slope of high-end product acquisition disorder.

Being a CF guy, is SMN Crema da Barba really worth the $71 US to try out??? GREAT GOOGLY MOOGLY, my heart just skipped a beat just writing this...

Being a CF guy, is SMN Crema da Barba really worth the $71 US to try out??? GREAT GOOGLY MOOGLY, my heart just skipped a beat just writing this...

It depends if you want to experience a better croap, to the creme you are using. I have CF Lavender, i love it, but it behind several others in my opinion. I feel SMN is the ultimate. :) IMHO and YMMV

I've used CF Lime(and Lavender)for a long time and have also used SMN. CF Lime is one of my all time favs and SMN is excellent. One is $38 and the other is at least $70. My belief,and this is completely subjective,is that you won't feel that SMN is $30-35 superior to CF Lime. Others may totally disagree,but that's what I think

Craig

Truth is, I got SMN as a gift. I never would have spent the bucks on it. Those high-end ($60-70) Euro products (SMN, ABC, MDC, XPEC, ADP) -- most seem to be marked up about 100% over here. I think my GF paid about 35 E in Florence for SMN, and ABC is 30 E a puck over there as well. My feeling is hey if you have the $$$, spend it on what you want. But I agree with most here that there are awesome european soaps and creams (CF, Valobra, LPL, SV, etc.) which you can get for 25-35 bucks, and they are almost as good, if not just as good, as the others.

Truth is, I got SMN as a gift. I never would have spent the bucks on it. Those high-end ($60-70) Euro products (SMN, ABC, MDC, XPEC, ADP) -- most seem to be marked up about 100% over here. I think my GF paid about 35 E in Florence for SMN, and ABC is 30 E a puck over there as well. My feeling is hey if you have the $$$, spend it on what you want. But I agree with most here that there are awesome european soaps and creams (CF, Valobra, LPL, SV, etc.) which you can get for 25-35 bucks, and they are almost as good, if not just as good, as the others.

I think you should stick with "almost as good" :)

Good? Well something been good is completely subjective IMO. The only person that can actually say something is "good" is the individual user. The only way to get an accurate assessment is by using it. Reviews and opinions are great as a barometer, but I would never make a decision based on them.

So, I order some to make my own decision:thumbup1:

Good? Well something been good is completely subjective IMO. The only person that can actually say something is "good" is the individual user. The only way to get an accurate assessment is by using it. Reviews and opinions are great as a barometer, but I would never make a decision based on them.

So, I order some to make my own decision:thumbup1:

I am so proud, :)

Top Bottom