What's new

Newbie From NW Indiana

Welcome to the fun from northeast Illinois. Mike's lemongrass roxks....one of the best soaps I have ever used...like many others but this one.... Good luck in your journey

Thanks Alex. Got my starting gear on Amazon. Merkur Long Handle DE. Col Conk Shave Bowl and an Escali Pure Badger Brush. After reading about Whipped Dog on B&B I recently acquired a 24mm High Mountain knot in black resin handle. Have hardly touched the escali since. Have tried a few different soaps and creams but am currently rotating some GFT Coconut Oil Cream, Strop Shoppe Baker St. w/ Tallow. Had several samples of Mike's and ordered a tin of Lemongrass/Eucalyptus. Think I'll become a tallow soap guy as so far they seem to perform the best for me.
Do you plan on getting a vintage razor?

Welcome to the fun from northeast Illinois. Mike's lemongrass roxks....one of the best soaps I have ever used...like many others but this one.... Good luck in your journey

Thanks Jeff, I enjoyed all of the mike's samples I had, too bad can't afford to just get them all. Lemongrass was a favorite and will be nice for summer. I also plan on getting a tin of Pine/Cedarwood once it's in stock, will be a great fall/winter scent

Welcome! I have the same problem - I thought I was going to be saving money! The good thing (for me, at least) is that I now have enough soap to last at least a few years!

Great to have you aboard! I was born in Hammond and grew up in that area til I was 20.

I'm about 6 months into DE shaving and I absolutely love it. I used to HATE shaving - now I look forward to it 7 days a week!

Thanks. I'm from Michigan City and also lived in Munster for about a year. Moving to Valpo soon for school.

I also look forward to shaving now and wish I really needed to everyday. Doesn't really grow fast enough to warrant it. I could safely go every 2 days w/o looking too rough. But of course, sometimes I just go head and shave anyway.

The only negative is I initially got into this to save money but now can't stop buying new products to try, oh well.

We have all been there! For me, at least, that slowed down after about 5 months. There are legends of those who never stop buying, but I think those may be to scare the newbies!

Welcome and enjoy

You cant go wrong with a Super Speed, or a Tech razor model either.

Well hopped on ebay last night w/o the intention of buying anything but right away saw a 1954 Super Speed date code Z1 w/ only 5 min left in the auction. Kinda seemed like a sign so I went ahead and bid and won. Really excited for it.

The only negative is I initially got into this to save money but now can't stop buying new products to try, oh well.

I can most definitely empathize with you.

I've actually become the wet shaving equivalent of a crackhead. Always convinced that my next fix will serve to satiate the gravening, yet perpetually in need of yet moooooore!

Well hopped on ebay last night w/o the intention of buying anything but right away saw a 1954 Super Speed date code Z1 w/ only 5 min left in the auction. Kinda seemed like a sign so I went ahead and bid and won. Really excited for it.

Can't go wrong with that. ...keep us updated when you get it

I received my 1954 Gillette Super Speed. It arrived in great shape. Gave it a quick clean/polish and had my first shave w/ it last night. Gave me a really close shave although I admit I did knick myself 3 times which hasn't happened in awhile. Must be a bit more aggressive than my Merkur Long Handle so I'll have to be a little more careful. Overall though I'm very pleased.

Also received part of the first batch of Strop Shoppe Formula 221B AS. Smells just like the Baker St. soap. Great stuff and I really like the bottle.

View attachment 578229

I received my 1954 Gillette Super Speed. It arrived in great shape. Gave it a quick clean/polish and had my first shave w/ it last night. Gave me a really close shave although I admit I did knick myself 3 times which hasn't happened in awhile. Must be a bit more aggressive than my Merkur Long Handle so I'll have to be a little more careful. Overall though I'm very pleased.

Also received part of the first batch of Strop Shoppe Formula 221B AS. Smells just like the Baker St. soap. Great stuff and I really like the bottle.

View attachment 578229

Congrats, are you getting a blade sampler pack?

Congrats, are you getting a blade sampler pack?
Maybe at some point. Have a bunch of personna blues to get through. Also have a 5 pack of feathers and of gillette silver blues. Picked those up at Merz Apothecary in Chicago along with that semogue 1305. Merz is an awesome place for anyone to check out if they dont live too far.

Maybe at some point. Have a bunch of personna blues to get through. Also have a 5 pack of feathers and of gillette silver blues. Picked those up at Merz Apothecary in Chicago along with that semogue 1305. Merz is an awesome place for anyone to check out if they dont live too far.
I agree, it's a popular choice among BB.

Top Bottom