What's new

Hai Karate

Hai Karate, the stuff of legends. Made popular back in the day by their clever ad campaigns. Now the stuff is pretty rare, and when you can find a bottle on auction sites, they fetch quite a price. Luckily, I recently received a bottle as a birthday present.

I've long heard that Avon's Tai Winds was a clone of Hai Karate. And Tai Winds is my favorite aftershave so I have always been very excited to try Hai Karate.

Initially the scent of Hai Karate, the scent is a bit weird, I can't describe it. But that only lasts a second. As soon as it is applied and begins to dry down, it transforms, and does smell pretty much the same as Tai Winds. Slightly different, but close enough. Then things get really weird.

After 5 minutes or so, when the dry down is complete, the scent transforms again. It ends up smelling very similar to Skin Bracer.

The face feel is much better than Tai Winds in my opinion. I love the scent of TW, but always thought that it felt a bit harsh. I need to experiment with some glycerin. Regardless, Hai Karate does not have that issue. It feels great.

I'll be doing some experimenting, mixing Tai Winds and Skin Bracer to see if I can get something that better approximates Hai Karate.

Anyone else use Hai Karate? What are your thoughts on the scent, and the dry down?

I haven't used Hai Karate since "back in the day", but noticed it about a year ago on the Vermont Country Store website. I sent them an email inquiring if it was NOS or a new formulation. They replied with basically a shoulder shrug; so I did not want to spend the money on a blind buy - way overpriced, IMO. But I'm curious to hear your further opinions.

I haven't used Hai Karate since "back in the day", but noticed it about a year ago on the Vermont Country Store website. I sent them an email inquiring if it was NOS or a new formulation. They replied with basically a shoulder shrug; so I did not want to spend the money on a blind buy - way overpriced, IMO. But I'm curious to hear your further opinions.

I don't think I ever had any years ago when it was so popular but like you, just noticed the Vermont County Store sells it. I think it was $49.95 or something like that?

<edit> Found it there for $45.95, pretty ridiculous.

Last edited:
Professional obligation force me to get a bottle some time back.:biggrin1:

proxy.php

I remember the commercials, but for me they were even funnier in Spanish. I haven't used it since I was probably 12 or 13 years old. This, English Leather, Old Spice, and Brut 33 where Christmas staples for the boys.

+1, it was never a high end product, this is like spending $10 for a pack of blackjack gum

I read somewhere that the original Hai Karate ad was a marketing joke and the product didn't really exist but after it was shown the response was huge and then there was a mad rush to make an actual product for the demand. I don't know if its true but it makes a good story.

Top Bottom