What's new

Belt question - what sort of wear do you get from a quality one?

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Our member Rob (eaglestroker) makes an outstanding belt!! Right now, I own four of his creations and they are the best belts ever!!
Highly recommend him.

I made my belt using tooling leather for making horse saddles. Broke it in by tightly rolling it up and unrolling it a dozen times. I used alcohol based black leather dye, the vegetable based stuff isn't as goog IMHO, to dye it. I've been using the same belt for 10 years now. I only have to restrain it every few years. Best belt I've ever owned.

I like my belts from the Torino Leather company. I have found them to be more durable than "cheaper" belts.

I wear a black belt, a brown belt, or a cordovan belt 95+% of the time. In fact, it might be 100% . . . I don't think that I own any other colors!

My work horse dress belt is an Allen Edmonds and I'd say it has been being worn for 3 years now and barely shows any wear. Obviously there is some creasing where it goes into the buckle, but that is it.

Match your belt to your shoes, if you're wearing dress or business casual clothes and shoes. This is one of those rules that every young man should be told, but often is overlooked.

Winners/marshalls are great for belts.

Any other good recommendations for belts under $100?

I've had my eye on the Orion belts but don't know how people like them for dress belts.

Any other good recommendations for belts under $100?

I've had my eye on the Orion belts but don't know how people like them for dress belts.

I am going to pull the trigger on a couple from Saddleback. The one that I am eyeing is top grain leather and is just under $70. I will update in a few weeks, but it sounds like I won't really know how nice the belts are for a few years.

You mention Vegas. 10 years ago I was there for a fight and forgot my belt. Went to the gift shop to see what they had, and though expensive, I picked up an Onyx (a sub-label of Brighton). It's still going strong, and I wear it at least 3 times per week.

Several years ago, whilst in the Brighton store (my wife likes their jewelry) I was told they started as a belt company.

I currently switch between a black and a dark red brown on a stainless belt buckle with my initials. Have had the buckle since I was 16 (am 22 now) and have yet to tire of the look.

Thought I'd dig this one out and give some feedback.

I ended up getting a belt from bullhide belts. (www.bullhidebelts.com). I ordered a black 1 1/4 inch, with a stitched edge, and I finally got my hands on it last week, as I was in the US so could pick up various goodies I'd had delivered.

They made and delivered it within about 5 days, and were good with communications.

More than happy with the belt despite it being the most expensive belt I've every owned, and I'm convinced that I'll get a lot more wear than my old approach of my annual Dickies belt from Walmart.

I've (kind of) taken the advice from LogisticEarth and the Carhartt belt from Amazon also. Got one in my Amazon cart ready for my next order, think that's a good belt to wear with my levis'.

Thanks to all for advice and pointers.

If you live in southern California head to Tijuana mexico and you can find some Extremely high quality, handmade belts for about $40. I had one that lasted me like 6 years till i spilled nail polish remover on it. Now its my cheapo work belt.

I have been eyeing the Saddleback belts, anybody have any experience?

I have the "old bull" from Saddleback in black. It is a beautiful, beefy belt that looks like it really will last 100 years. I was initially concerned that the width (1.5") and thickness would be too much for suits and slacks but it looks great with my business professional and casual attire. I plan to pick up an old bull in brown one of these days.

Costco (Kirkland brand) sells basic black and brown full grain leather belts for under $20. Excellent quality. Make sure that you purchase the belt matching your pants size rather than your usually larger waist size. For example, I wear 34" pants and buy a 34" belt.
Also available on ebay.

Yeah, a quality, full-grain leather belt can last a decade or more, assuming your waist stays the same. :p

Expect to pay between $60-120 or more for a good belt though. Dress belts are more expensive than "work" belts since they have finer leathers and nicer looking hardware.

Good work belts can be fairly cheap though. I have Carhartts "Anvil" belt for work, and it's only about $25-30:
http://www.amazon.com/Carhartt-Mens-Anvil-Leather-Belt/dp/B0031U0PVU

Full-grain leather is the key though. The "de-laminating" you're speaking of is from cheapo "leather" where they just put a thin layer of leather over rubber or fabric. Not durable at all and falls apart pronto. This is sold as "genuine leather" and should be avoided.

+1. IMO you can think of a good belt as an 'investment.'

I expect at least 10 years of wear and have had some for 20-30 years. I tend to purchase Coach, Allen Edmonds, or Nordsrom's house brand. IMO you need a belt to match your shoes, so several colors, often in different widths, and, once you have the basics, woven, different hardware, etc. This is one of those things where you can tell the quality by looking at it, much the same way my wife can spot a quality handbag at a glance.

Top Bottom