What's new

Name Your Favorite Loose Leaf Paper

Since getting into fountain pens I've become an incorrigible paper nerd. In no small part this is due to my constant need to make things. It's a heck of a lot cheaper to make traveler's notebooks and refills for them than make pens! So I've been playing with some paper I've had knocking around from when I helped clear out the local university printing press when they were outsourced. Now I'm looking to try some different papers and get a real sense of the different qualities that are available. Eventually this will result in selling off the piles of hand-stitched notebooks I've been making to avoid being crushed when they fall over on me. (I figure I'm going to make them anyway, I might as well see if my hobby can help offset its own cost)

What are you favorite loose leaf papers? I'm planning on picking up a ream or two of Tomoe River, but haven't found anything else in a loose page format that tickles me. Page size is largely irrelevant as I'm already doing a lot of custom cutting.

(note: I have already lined up some guinea pigs to blind test all the different 28lb laserjet papers I can get my hands on, so I'm particularly curious about higher quality paper.)

Life noble paper, definitely. Nanami Paper Supply sells loose leaf packs. Tomoe River for sure too.

Also look at maruman and kokuyo papers. Between nanami and jetpens you should find them. Nanami has a "try a sheet" program for their papers. Just request some sheets and send them an envelope.

Last edited:
Thanks fellas. Kevan, you may have started something wonderful and dangerous by introducing me to Nanami! I'm really looking forward to checking out the offerings from Life and Kokuyo.

Life noble paper, definitely. Nanami Paper Supply sells loose leaf packs. Tomoe River for sure too.

Also look at maruman and kokuyo papers. Between nanami and jetpens you should find them. Nanami has a "try a sheet" program for their papers. Just request some sheets and send them an envelope.
I have some Tomoe River on the way! Really looking forward to it.

Thanks fellas. Kevan, you may have started something wonderful and dangerous by introducing me to Nanami! I'm really looking forward to checking out the offerings from Life and Kokuyo.
Sure thing. The site may be a bit old fashioned and require a lot of reading (and you might have to read a bit to find the try a paper offer, but it's there last I checked), and his stock may be small compared to bigger shops, but Dave at Nanami is one of us. He answers questions, is really helpful, and his packing and shipping is second to none. That, and the fact that he constantly digs up obscure and cool products, is why I'm a loyal customer of his even if Jetpens offers a far wider selection.

You might also enjoy the 32lb paper from HP, marketed as "HP Premium Laser Jet" paper. About $20 per ream, and the paper feels rather substantial without feeling like cardboard. It is smooth and does well with every ink I've used, although drying time is a little higher than on most readily-available papers.

Top Bottom