What's new

Allen Edmonds Sizing Question

I just received my first pair of Allen Edmond shoes and I love them. I used the sizing guide printed from their website and ordered a pair of Black Hills in walnut, size 13E, from the shoe bank. The width of these shoes is perfect and I have plenty of room in the toe box. The left heal doesn't slip at all and the right heal slips just a tiny bit (and I do mean tiny). Overall, I am very happy with they fit and am keeping them. The only problem / question is the length. There seems to be quite a bit of extra length in front of my toes (1'+) and I don't know if this is just a result of the last (65) or if this is longer than it should be.

Based on the fit, my next pair (and there will be a next pair) will be smaller, but I am not sure what size to go with. I would assume 12.5 E or should I step down to a 12 E? From the length, I think a 12 would be fine, but would the width still be appropriate? Is there a bigger difference between the 12.5 and 12 (and the 13) than I am anticipating? There are way more options for a size 12 than 12.5 which makes me want the 12E to be the right size.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

P.S. I had never spent more than $80 on a pair of shoes. These Black Hills were $127 and now the $200+ shoes don't seem so expensive either...it's a slippery slope.

I initially thought the same thing when I got my 12 E Park Avenues earlier this year. However, I think it's the elongated profile for the style (last). Considering the rounded toe, which comes to more of a point than many of my other shoes, it would have to have room in front of your toes to do so, especially with a wide width.

I'll be paying close attention to the responses on this as I'm planning on purchasing my first AEs next month.

Looking at reviews on-line, it seemed to me that most low ratings on a pair of shoes I'm interested in were due to sizing issues.

I initially thought the same thing when I got my 12 E Park Avenues earlier this year. However, I think it's the elongated profile for the style (last). Considering the rounded toe, which comes to more of a point than many of my other shoes, it would have to have room in front of your toes to do so, especially with a wide width.

This makes sense and it may just take some getting used to. None of my other shoes have come to this point and it may just be the way it is. I do feel I could go down a 1/2 size but I really shouldn't buy another pair of shoes for at least a few months. Other priorities and all...

Head to a Nordstrom or an Allen Edmonds store and try a few sizes in the style you like to find the best fit. I have 5th Avenues, which are the same shape as your Park Avenues and had to go down 1/2 a size. The width was spot on. These models have a longer last to account for the long pointy end, and my toes appreciate that.

I've purchased two pair recently. The sizing I went with at 13 EEE was a perfect fit for my feet; my left being just a bit smaller than right. These were a pair of New Orleans at the Shoe Bank and a pair of Dundee's at the retail web store. My only offering is this; your feet are one of the few things you'll have with you your entire life - treat them well now. And if that means a bit of a road trip to a retail location to get the sizing exactly as you like it - depending on the last and the shoe... it's worth it.

I didn't, but I think I got off lucky. An hour drive may be very much worth it the next pair I choose.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
They have lots of stores. I recommend you find one near a city you'd like to visit and include a stop on your vacation. In any event, you could easily find that a three hour drive is worth your investment considering how many hours/days/years the shoes will be on your feet.

I found mine while visiting DC.

Hillsboro, OR is 29 minutes from Portland.

I'm wearing my Allen Edmonds for the first time today! I ordered a new with manu defect from ebay... I had tried on countless dress shoes, but not Allen Edmonds... Some I was a 12, and others a 13. 12 was typically E, with 13 being D. I chose a pair of AE's that didn't have a particularly slim tapered toe and had a wider base. Went with a 13 in Walnut... and boy, they fit amazing. A little long in the toe, but perfect around the heel and arch. Scooped em up for a best offer of $100!

To provide reference, I wear a 13 in athletic shoes. My every day driver, a pair of Clark Touraegs, are 12's.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121652604638?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

It's the last.

Same with my Alden's

Place more emphasis on where the widest part of your foot lines up with the widest part of the shoe, and whether or not anything is pinching or feeling tight or too loose.

It's the last.

Same with my Alden's

Place more emphasis on where the widest part of your foot lines up with the widest part of the shoe, and whether or not anything is pinching or feeling tight or too loose.

It actually does feel really good around the widest part of my foot. Overall, I would expect the 12.5 E to fit just slightly better but the 13 E is good as well. I will take the other advice given and drive to a local Nordstrom's and try on a few pairs before ordering my next pair of shoes.

Thanks all!

One test with the new shoes you already have is to wear with some thick hiking or skiing socks and see how the shoe feels. If it feels okay, meaning not tight but not sloppy loose then going down one size may be in order. If obviously too tight, then stay with the size you have. That said, you have made the better decision to visit Nordstrom's to try on different sizes.

I have a pair of AE wingtips built on the same (65) last and while they fit and feel great, I agree that there does seem to be quite a bit of extra space in front of the toe.

+1 to the sock test above.

I just starting wearing pair of AE Fifth Avenues (65 last). They do have an elongated look in order to get the rounded point, but probably less so on mine because I'm a 10B. As far as fit, I also recommend finding a Nordstrom or AE store and getting fitted properly. I was was fitted at an AE store. The store did not have the 5th Ave available in my size, so they had a pair shipped to me. The pair I received felt big. Both heels moved way more than I expected, and it surprised me because I was fitted in store with a pair of Park Ave. (same last). I took the new shoes to the AE store and they agreed I may have been shipped a dud pair. They had another 10B shipped to me, and they fit perfectly.

Top Bottom