What's new

First piston filler or vac filler

Before I get to my question, I do realize how many threads I post on here. I have a moment of embarrassment every time I post a new one because I picture all of the rest of you going "jeez, this guy again?" but I'm honestly just an inquisitive person who asks a lot of questions and I mean isn't that what this website is about? I know I sure like answering other peoples' questions on here. But I digress. I'm really interested in pens that have a built in piston filling mechanism and especially interested in vacuum fillers. Where is a good place to start? I'm considering purchasing the TWSBI Vac-700 as a gift to myself when I find a new job, but as to piston fillers, I have no idea where to start because they seem to be a lot more common than vac-fillers. Are there any piston fillers in the same price range as the vac 700 ($65.00 on Goulet Pens)? The only one at which I've looked so far has been a Pelikan but it was $200 and that is just too far out of my price range right now. Any insight is appreciated.

I can't answer your question...but don't ever worry about what you are posting. That is what sets us apart from all other forums. We don't bash members for "this post again?!?!" and we never tell any to just "Google it!". You are most welcome to ask any questions and we are more than happy to help!

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
1st off great answer from Ed, ask away we currently have the server space. :lol:

Have you considered vintage, it may be more than you want to spend but my favorite vacumatics are by far my vintage Parkers.

The TWSBI diamond 580 should be a close option to the Vac... the Vac is also a very large pen while the 580 is a medium.

And aleats free to ask away here, keeps the conversation going.

I recently bought a 580 for my wife and and one for myself. It's a great pen. I love the piston filling mechanism, and it holds a ton of ink. I understand the TWSBI vac 700 requires you to open the filler knob a little to allow the ink to flow through the feed for writing. I think the idea is the vacuum will prevent leaks when experiencing air pressure changes such as when on an air plane.

I've never tried the Vac 700, but I don' think you can go wrong with the 580. It comes in a lot of nice colors too. I got the red for my wife, and I got clear for myself. The rose gold looks great as does the silver.

you can take the seal off that requires you to have to back the knob off so it isnt an issue, But that forward section holds a lot of ink anyway and refloods quickly

Good luck on the job hunt!

You can get a new Pelikan M200/205 for under $100, or maybe a Vintage Pelikan 140 for even less. I have both, and I think they are good piston fillers.

Piston fillers hold lots of ink. TWISBI's 580 is a really nice pen that provides a great deal of value for the dollars. I have a reasonably large hand, palming a basketball is still possible at my wrinkled age, and the 580 is very comfortable in the hand. Piston fillers are also very easy to fill, clean, and maintain.

Just my two cents...

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
... but as to piston fillers, I have no idea where to start because they seem to be a lot more common than vac-fillers. Are there any piston fillers in the same price range as the vac 700 ($65.00 on Goulet Pens)? The only one at which I've looked so far has been a Pelikan but it was $200 and that is just too far out of my price range right now. Any insight is appreciated.

Three obvious answers spring to mind ... and you have already mentioned one of them.

Okay ... cheap and decent ... Noodler's pens. I'd suggest the Konrad, and IMHO the ebonite (a very nice material) one seems to have the fewest problems. The Konrad seems also to be far less problematic than the Ahab. Anyhow, you get a decent pen with a piston fill, and it's $40. (Or $20 if you get the cheap one.) It claims to be a flex nib, but not really. Anyhow, a decent pen.

Then there is the Pelikan ... $200 and up, depending on the model. Or less for an entry one, if you look at Japanese sellers on e-bay ... http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Pelikan-CLAS...104?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item234c72e758

And then, there is the trusty Pilot Custom Heritage 92 ... the "CH 92", if you will ... which can be had for around the same $125-including-shipping price range. http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Pilot-Namiki...069?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27fe5f31c5
To my mind, owning all three, the CH 92 is the best of the bunch. If you want "one and done", this is your best bet. (Or (Or you can drop serious coin on higher-end Pelikans.)

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I have the Vac 700, an interesting pen, works well once you get used to it's quirks, but too big (LONG) to carry around in my shirt pocket, so I seldom use it. I bought it for it's amber color, in a nib size I didn't care for, swapped it out for a Goulet #6 nib. I have the Noodler's Ebonite Kondrad, nice pen for $40, don't like the flex nib, doesn't easily flex, it can also be changed out for a #6, IIRC, but I have yet to do so. Don't waste your money on the cheaper $20 resin bodied Konrads.

Last edited:
I have the Vac 700 and a Diamond Mini. I use the Vac 700 at my desk, which works well because of its size and comfort for lengthy writing. I carry the Mini in my pocket for travel, notes and signatures.

Good luck on the job hunt!

You can get a new Pelikan M200/205 for under $100, or maybe a Vintage Pelikan 140 for even less. I have both, and I think they are good piston fillers.

Kansaskyle is right. You'll be able to get a low end, but excellent Pelikan piston fill for under 100. They are seriously good pens.

I've not tried any of the nicer pilots, but they are well regarded here.

I have both the TWSBI 580AL and Vac, a Konrad and have owned a Pelikan 400, 200 and 215.

In my opinion; Short answer: TWSBI 580AL is my favorite.

Long answer:

TWSBI 580AL: The aluminum bits on the AL version add heft that I really like. Standard #6 sized nib makes it versatile for other writing experiences.

TWSBI Vac: Same #6 nib is versatile as the 580. Filling system is really unique and fun to use and holds A TON. Backing out the filler knob is a pain; removing the o-ring to fix this also makes the "sealed-off-for-safe-travel" feature no longer a plus. Too long for shirt pockets.

Konrad: Ink flow is excellent and very adjustable. Piston is not the highest quality and doesn't operate smoothly or feel too secure. Flex nib doesn't flex and scratchy, so by the time you spend $40 on the pen and $15 on a nib, over priced for quality, IMO.

Pelikan 200: Nice nib, but very light and cheap feeling body. Pricey for something that feels so cheap and plain.

Pelikan 400: Great pen, but again, way overpriced, IMO. Light and not very interesting design.

Pelikan 215: My favorite of the Pelikans; the metal body makes it feel substantial and seems to be very well made.

The TWSBI 580 is a really great choice for a starter fountain pen. Well made and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. And with a bit of patience and some luck, you might be able to dig up a vintage Parker Vacumatic for a similar price.

I have two Vac 700s and two 580s. I like them all, though I use the Vac 700s most often. I like the size of the pen and don't mind the little unscrewing part to get the ink flowing. I've read about cracking issues on TWSBI pens and have been careful with them all, though the 580s don't feel as substantial as the 700s do. So far, no cracking on any of them (knock wood). I like the in capacity of the 700s quite a bit. They're just substantial ink holders. I bought the filling bottle to go along with the 700s and it fills that entire section almost to 100%. It's very easy to take apart and clean, and it goes with me everywhere. The 580s are nice as well, but I don't tend to reach for either of them as often as I do the Vacs.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Just ordered a 580AL today, will be interesting to compare to my Vac 700 and Ebonite Konrad!

Konrad: Ink flow is excellent and very adjustable. Piston is not the highest quality and doesn't operate smoothly or feel too secure. Flex nib doesn't flex and scratchy, so by the time you spend $40 on the pen and $15 on a nib, over priced for quality, IMO.

I noted the creakiness in the Konrad piston mechanism as well. Dismantling the piston (a very simple operation on the Konrad) and packing the inside of the piston with a little silicone grease greatly improved the smoothness and ease of filling up. Similarly a few minutes polishing the nib on a water stone has it just about glass smooth. But all of this goes to underscore the most important element of the Konrad - it is a pen that demands tinkering to get the most out of it. If you don't want to wake up in the middle of the night after hours of dreaming about customizing, grinding, and adjusting your fountain pen the Konrad might not be your thing.

As a brief tangent - are the ebonite Konrads still available somewhere? I haven't been able to find them.

Top Bottom