What's new

Citrus Shaving Soap

DRH Arlington has a nice citrus scent and is an excellent performer. I recommend it highly. FYI, it isn't very bergamot or orange scented to my nose (from what I remember--it's been a while).

Agreed on Maggard's.

I'd also have a look at RazoRock King of the Castle Lime, which is about the closest thing I've found to a straight-up sliced lime scent.

A great option not mentioned yet would be the citrus soaps from Mike's Natural Soaps. He does an orange/cedarwood/black pepper that's a simple but sophisticated riff on the genre, and his lime soap is also a winner.

All of these are value-priced, especially Mike's as it seems to last forever for me. Also great performers, all. Not sure about UK shipping but worth a look.

I am from the UK and I would like to add it is worth the money to import the American artisans. It's actually not that expensive.

I would order direct from Cold River Soap Works and have your self the best soap on the market in a weeks time.

CRSW Citrus is a great great scent, I can't comment on Jardin D'Orange until it arrives in a couple of days time, but if it's like the rest of Larry's soaps then it will be amazing.

Ordinarily shipping wouldn't have been an issue, but I'm at that stage in my life where I'm buying my first house, so the purse strings have been yanked closed a bit :( I reallllly want that Jardin d'Orange though! Can you let me know if it's as good as it sounds when you get it please Windsor?

On a side note, have any UK based guys tried any of the LUSH handmade shaving creams?

My girlfriend loves their lotions and potions. Last time I went in to get her something I was ambushed and ushered towards the shaving stuff. Back then shaving cream seemed a bit pointless with a cartridge razor so I wasn't interested. Smelled nice enough though.

I am from the UK and I would like to add it is worth the money to import the American artisans. It's actually not that expensive.

Some European soaps that I like:

TFS Bergamotto Neroli Forte soap
TFS Barba Gialla soap
Speick Active soap (more orange than citrus, in my opinion)

Last edited:
A great option not mentioned yet would be the citrus soaps from Mike's Natural Soaps. He does an orange/cedarwood/black pepper that's a simple but sophisticated riff on the genre, and his lime soap is also a winner.

I've only tried the Lime and it's nice. O/C/BP is on the list

I've only tried the Lime and it's nice. O/C/BP is on the list

I'm about 20 shaves into 3017ing a tin of Mikes OCB. Typical Mikes performance, excellent. I primarily pick up a mild citrusy orange scent, the cedar gives it an earthy somewhat more complex take on orange. For a citrus scent I agree, Mike Lime as well as OCP are very nice choices.

Ordinarily shipping wouldn't have been an issue, but I'm at that stage in my life where I'm buying my first house, so the purse strings have been yanked closed a bit :( I reallllly want that Jardin d'Orange though! Can you let me know if it's as good as it sounds when you get it please Windsor?

On a side note, have any UK based guys tried any of the LUSH handmade shaving creams?

My girlfriend loves their lotions and potions. Last time I went in to get her something I was ambushed and ushered towards the shaving stuff. Back then shaving cream seemed a bit pointless with a cartridge razor so I wasn't interested. Smelled nice enough though.

I will add to the comments made by the above guys that Mikes stuff is really great also Barrister and Mann Orange and Cedarwood is top stuff.

My Jardin D'Orange arrived today, 3 days to the UK, impressive delivery times. Ok, my first impressions of this soap before it's been lathered is, it's quite subtle and not very strong but has enough scent strength to hang around during the shave most likely. It is orangey but not overally so, it is mixed nicely with the green accord mentioned in the description that gives it a good backing note. This part in particular smells not woody but more like the stem of a leaf. It's a very nice mix and I agree on cold rivers description of walking through an orange grove. You are picking up hints of everything you would get in the wind whilst walking through the grove so not outwardly strong components of each scent - I hope this makes sense.

I have not tried any LUSH creams, but I did read some non favourable reviews by real wet shavers not to long ago. But as I haven't tried them I can't really comment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcxgvywdgRw

Answers my question about LUSH, I thought LUSH was just a Europe thing :/ oops!

Thanks for the info Windsor! Sounds like my kinda scene, I have a unisex fragrance by Hermes called Jardin Sur Le Nil which I'm imagining might be a stronger version of the same kind of scent. I'll have to wait a little while before I can get myself some CRSW stuff! At soonest, it'll be after the move in date!

Last edited:
I'm about 20 shaves into 3017ing a tin of Mikes OCB. Typical Mikes performance, excellent. I primarily pick up a mild citrusy orange scent, the cedar gives it an earthy somewhat more complex take on orange. For a citrus scent I agree, Mike Lime as well as OCP are very nice choices.

Thanks for the review, I see he has some in stock right now.

Does Marie Armand still make the Maggard's soaps for them? She also might make a nice citrus one under her own label??

Maria Arman still makes soaps for Maggard and also sells her soaps through her e-store, Through the Fire Fine Craft. On the subject of citrus, she was kind enough to make me a custom tallow soap, Lemon Meringue. It may be my very favorite soap. Deep lemon scent, almost like lemon curd. NOT sweet. I know she will be happy to make it for anyone interested. For the summer she also makes a soap called Extinguish which is raspberry and menthol. The menthol is light. The scent is like fresh raspberries.

If pro is the opposite of con, what is the opposite of Congress?
― Will Rogers

Maria Arman still makes soaps for Maggard and also sells her soaps through her e-store, Through the Fire Fine Craft. On the subject of citrus, she was kind enough to make me a custom tallow soap, Lemon Meringue. It may be my very favorite soap. Deep lemon scent, almost like lemon curd. NOT sweet. I know she will be happy to make it for anyone interested. For the summer she also makes a soap called Extinguish which is raspberry and menthol. The menthol is light. The scent is like fresh raspberries.

Wow, both of those sound great. Lemon Meringue pie has been my favorite since I was a small boy and I LOVE raspberries. Thanks for the information.

Wow, both of those sound great. Lemon Meringue pie has been my favorite since I was a small boy and I LOVE raspberries. Thanks for the information.

Tell me about it, my shopping list (for future purchases) is now as long as my arm :/ Cheers for the info though guys. Shame my Birthday isn't any time soon or CRSW would have been top of my wish list!

Ooops, I think I might be in trouble with my better half :/

Having been looking for an orange scent, I had a look at Mama Bear's soaps and found Marauder's Orange. It had good reviews on the net and I'm of the Harry Potter era so obvious Marauder's was a help. The Clincher though? I also found their Mountain Waters soap - a formulation to match Silver Mountain Water by Creed - My favourite fragrance in my arsenal. I couldn't resist, Shipping costs went out of the window - got both.

Anyone tried either of them and can convince me this was a good idea? Is the Mountain Waters any where near the scent of SMW?

Top Bottom