What's new

What's your Bike Lock?

I just bought a $650 bicycle and I'm in the market for a good lock to (hopefully) prevent its being stolen.

I've heard mixed reviews concerning whether chain locks or U-locks are better, though I'm leaning toward a U-lock.

I thought I'd ask around here on B&B before I went out and bought something. I'm in a major metropolitan city with a high rate of thievery (Montreal, QC).

My Questions:

What bike lock are you using?

How much does your bike cost?

And do you have any tips for good locking practices?

Cheers!:thumbup1:

Legion

Staff member
I think mine is a Kryptonite 785.

http://www.kryptonitelock.com/conte...s/product-information/current-key/000853.html

I guess my bike was about $1k, but I will trust this lock with a more expensive bike when I do replace it. They say it is in their "moderate security" range, but it is pretty heavy duty. And it can double as a flail in traffic, if needed.

If I am leaving my bike for a good length of time I will also run a cable through the unlocked wheel, and maybe chuck a plastic bag over my Brooks saddle, just in case.

My only gripe with this chain is I wish it had one or two more links, so I could wear it around my 36" waist when I need to carry it and want to travel light. Not a big deal, though.

Last edited:
There's a lot of good video's on youtube about it. One of the tips I got was, where you are locking your bike dictates what locks you should consider. The high rate of theft dictates you're looking for a heavy flat keyed U-lock and at least a heavy chain lock for your bike. Considering it's new you either have to chain your seat or remove it each time. Some U-locks with round keys are pickable with a simple bic pen. Cables would not be a good option either. Also look at new bolts for your front tire, they have custom keyed ones that means you can't take your tire off with a wrench you need a custom key.

I'm in a low crime area, low theft and I rarely need to lock my bike so I use a simple cable lock and if I plan to leave it for more than 5 minutes I use an older cheap u-lock.

-Stephen

Last edited:
For the most part, a bike lock is simply to deter an opportunist. If a serious bike thief really wants your bike or the parts on it, they will get it - in a shickingly small amount of time. I would get whatever works for you... if it's some links of chain from home depot and a combination lock, or a $100 kryptonite, so be it. They're both going to deter crimes of opportunity.

For the rare times that I need a lock, I have a simple cable lock. It's reasonably compact, I can wrap it around my seatpost or wherever, and I can lock it around my frame, wheels and a pole.

My bikes are older and I have never bought new. My most expensive one is $300 and I use a cable lock. Where I go there are many more expensive bikes then mine so I just use a cable lock if someone wants your bike they are gonna get it. I just use one to deter kids or other opportunists.

Top Bottom