What's new

crazy tough beard need razor reccomendation

Hello all,
Been straight shaving about 6 months and have definately jumped in deep. I have a great set up for honing and have done some restoration. I have a serious beard that grows quickly. It is definately a tough coarse beard and facial hair. Combined with sensitive skin it has been trial and error on what razors work. So far the best shave i get is with a 7/8 barber king wusthof. Any other reccomendations for razors would be appreciated. I prefer a square point or barbers notch so i dont lose the crispness of my line around my beard amd it seems like 6/8 7/8 are do a better job for me. I also personally prefer a heavier razor in my hand. I am a chef by trade and a knife junkie so i am no stranger to sharp and pointy (bevel, bevel creation, sharpening/honing and blade geometry and angles) There has been a little learning curve for me when it comes to razors but honing and stropping has come pretty easily. I have been doing my restoration by hand which has been tedious but also pretty zen for me. I start with 100 or 180 depending and move up by 100 grit the first few jumps then 200 grit. Once i hit 1000 grit i go to 15 to 2 to 25 to 3 to 5 and finish with mothers. I woud prefer to pick up an older razor and finish it myself as it is much cheaper then buying new or restored already. I have a fairly old from what i understand gottlieb hammsfaehr. 2 interlocked circles emblem wedge that i am currently working on and have high hopes for. It is my first wedge. Any advice on that as well would be appreciated.

Last edited:
I see that your kinda new here.
I say get yourself a Wade & Butcher For Barbers Use and get it honed by Doc226. Have him put one of his Jnat edges on it, you'll love it!

I am in a similar boat as you. I have been using a Hart 6/8 for the past nine months and haven't looked back. Melts the tough beard with a JNat edge and is the most comfortable razor I have tried to date.

It's really hard to suggest razors.. I'd say check the " what straight I used today…now with pictures" thread and something might catch your fancy..

Ironically the 2/8s and 3/8s range are usually the hair shapers by marketing material.

I'm partial to big 1/2 hollows to extra hollow, but my favorite is a double ground bellied full hollow.

I've been on the forum for awhile. Most new guys either believe they have sensitive skin or tough beards. My suggestion is to visit youtube and watch guys shaving off twelve month old beards with a couple of razor passes. The majority of the time the problem is your edge isn't "truly shave ready" "your shaving technique is weak or "your pre-shave prep isn't up to par.

All these flaws can be cured with more shaves under your belts. It's just all part of the learning process.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dbQ2OA4SRA

Last edited:
Hi and welcome! Sounds like you're well on your way. I don't know what to recommend, as I like all sorts though lean towards the smaller, hollow ground razors. I don't know how that correlates to any beard type, if at all, as I shave daily and have never had a beard or moustache.

I have found that it doesn't matter what straight razor you use. As long as it's sharp, and you perform a good pre-shave prep. If your beard is properly hydrated, it makes shaving even long and coarse beards much easier. I wet a towel with hot water, squeeze it out, and hold it to my face for a minute. You can keep it there longer if you'd like.

Thanks for all the info. I almost always shave right after a shower so usually my skin is really well prepped. I use a pre shave oil with lather. Post shave cool water rinse followed by alum block then rinse and use a post shave lotion. I have one razor proffesionaly honed just to compare to what i was doing. I have a pretty good stone progression for honing and finish on a few different coticules depending on the razor. I strop on a tony miller linen and leather to finish. I also recently procured a small escher for finishing as well and will use it first time this weekend. The skin under my neck tends to be sensitive. Not overly so but enough to make me want to ask if anyone has a similar problem and what razor works best for them. Also my beard is super thick and coarse. As noted by my barber who has to use a serious pair of clippers to trim it otherwise it binds up the regular ones. So far a larger razor seems to be better for me. Still working out the grind that is best. I have a full wedge that will be ready this weekend i intend to use. Thanks for all the info and help.

Top Bottom