What's new

Chrome peeling off on my Merkur

This morning I noticed that the chrome finish on the back of the closed comb of my Merkur has peeled off a bit, It's close to the middle hole of the comb and the color there is brownish/goldish now (see pic). I know other members have had similar experiences with Merkur razors. Will this have any influence on resistance to corrosion?

If the chrome plating is compromised you may possible get rust. Send Merkur an email. They will usually take care of this for you.

the picture isn't too clear but usually crome is plated on top of nickel which is plated on top of copper/brass. If the nickel is still present you'll be fine since nickel won't rust. If it's down to the brass/copper you may experience some oxidation after a while.

i had issues with my vision, some of the damage was caused by me, sent it back, they repaired it, its my favorit razor,

Does Merkur do Hoffritz repairs? I ask because at a flea market near me, a guy had a hoffritz that was peeling on the handle and had a growing crack starting at the neck going down the barrel. I ask because I wonder if I save the razor from the guy could I get merkur to save it?

This morning I noticed that the chrome finish on the back of the closed comb of my Merkur has peeled off a bit, It's close to the middle hole of the comb and the color there is brownish/goldish now (see pic). I know other members have had similar experiences with Merkur razors. Will this have any influence on resistance to corrosion?

Apologies for bumping this old thread, but I'm having the same issue. It is a Merkur "Hefty" that was purchased in 2004. I splurged thinking the thing would out-last me, but now the chrome is really badly coming off the top, to the point where it digs into my face. Additionally, the base is starting to corrode.

I emailed Dovo about warranty and was told it was just two years. They did direct me to someone who could sell me a replacement top, but with the corrosion on the bottom I can't say I'm keen to invest.

Any suggestions for an alternative that won't fail after 9 years?

Top Bottom