What's new

Dogs and Basements

Is there any rhyme or reason to why a dog refuses to go near a basement?

My brother's dog and one of my parents' dogs have no problem coming down and hanging out when I'm down there. My dog and my parents' other dog? "Screw you, buddy. See you when you come back above ground level."

I'm thoroughly baffled. Bruce, a 5 year old Australian Cattle Dog, is for lack of a better way to put it my dog shaped shadow. Wherever I go, within reason, he goes; basements excluded.

I'm guessing it might be the stairs or if the basement has a slippery floor where they can slip. My aunts lab refused to go on any laminate floor.

My dogs have had no problems with the basement.
But as mentioned above, it could be the flooring. Some dogs are very cautious and prefer a secure footing.

Probably the stairs leading down there. Most don't mind climbing them but many fear going down them.

Mine love any chance to go explore under the house or through the heating ducts. They are dachshunds though.

Probably the stairs leading down there. Most don't mind climbing them but many fear going down them.

This is generally true about dogs and ll sorts of staircases. But then it's a wonder that we don't have thousands of dogs stranded upstairs. Perhaps this is yet another example of dogs being smarter than cats----just look at how many times firemen have to rescue cats from trees. When is the last time you heard of a dog having trouble getting down from a tall tree? :blink:

Hahaha! Up until this spring, my Airedale wouldn't go down into the basement. He'd dutifully wait at the top of the stairs for me. I think once my daughter started riding her big wheel downstairs he couldn't resist missing out on any potential fun and he came downstairs. Now he does it whenever he wants.

Our previous dog would hide down in the basement during thunderstorms or fireworks from the local baseball stadium...or when he'd get into trouble while we were out. :laugh:

Now he does it whenever he wants.

Another truism. Once a dog finally decides to try a set of stairs, he'll not hesitate to go again. (UNLESS you keep the door to the steps closed for about six months... then it's a whole new thing to be afraid of trying.)

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I'm guessing it might be the stairs or if the basement has a slippery floor where they can slip. My aunts lab refused to go on any laminate floor.

My thinking as well. A friend had a dog that refused to go in the kitchen because of the floor.

Have your dogs ever been up or down stairs before? Maybe it went down there once and got spooked by something. If dogs have a bad experience with something they usually avoid it in the future.

All of my homes growing up at stairs and one of the first things we always did was get the dog used to the stairs.

I have a rescue dog that does not like the basement stairs. He's ok with the back and side stairs though. I think the basement stairs are too steep for him.

Hahaha! Up until this spring, my Airedale wouldn't go down into the basement. He'd dutifully wait at the top of the stairs for me. I think once my daughter started riding her big wheel downstairs he couldn't resist missing out on any potential fun and he came downstairs. Now he does it whenever he wants.

Our previous dog would hide down in the basement during thunderstorms or fireworks from the local baseball stadium...or when he'd get into trouble while we were out. :laugh:

My inlaws have an Airedale as well. When they visit, he comes in the side door, goes straight down the basement stairs (carpeted) and pretty much refuses to come back up the entire weekend. He hates walking on hard floors, and our entire upstairs is either tile or hardwood.

My Sheltie refuses to go down to the basement. I've Even carried him down the stairs and he runs right back up. Only thing I can think is that is where the cat's litter is so he considers it her domain. :lol:

Maybe there's mold or some other issue that they dont want to inhale?

For whatever reason I had a mental image of the kids from That '70s Show doing their usual "round table" discussion in the basement.

Maybe it's because the stairs aren't carpeted? He likes stairs that have traction, maybe?

He wasn't a fan of the steps going upstairs at my father in law's house. I had to coax, carry, and cajole him to climb up and down the steps the whole weekend. They're plain hard wood.

In our condominium building, he has not problem. However, the stairs are carpeted.

I agree, combo of stairs and flooring. Some evenings my lab will run right upstairs to go to bed and other nights he keeps hesitating and won't budge.

Two dogs.

One will follow anywhere, even the basement.

The other, once in a blue moon will go in the basement with us.

My reasoning has always been that she hates having a bath. We use the utility tub in the basement for dog baths. We have to carry her to it.

The other dog, no big deal.

Even the word, "bath" to the old girl sends her ears down and her tail between her legs.

Top Bottom