What's new

Silicone polishing wheels

They can today and I used the pink one tonight (the 1200 grit) on a razor just to see how it works. Polished it up pretty well. Any razor would probably still need some mothers, maas, or flitz. I think tomorrow or Sunday I'll start with the white one on a razor and work my way up. Will post results (with pics) I promise.

Ok everyone.... I tried these out. I'll post some pics and we'll go from there

$image.jpg
I bought this set off of musicmedia.com. Came with 4 dremel nuts (I'm terrible with tool names btw) and four of each silicone polishing disks. The white is 80-100 the black is 220, blue is 600 or 800 and the pink is 1200. Now they wear down as you use them and if you're not careful the edge of the razor will take a nice length of it off.

So here's what I started with. A diamondine razor with a slight smile and a horse stamp on the back of the tang. You can see some of the rust and pitting on the blade here
$image.jpg$image.jpg$image.jpg$image.jpg
More pics to come...

$image.jpg$image.jpg$image.jpg

So you can see some of the rust and pitting in the blade. I would normally start my normal routine with some 100grit sant paper and a sponge or wine cork and work my way up. Then I would get upset with the scratches I missed and say f*** it I'm not going back to 100 and just deal with it.

So so here is after the white pad
$image.jpg

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 52
Next up I did the black pad which is roughly 220 grit. Now you gotta be careful and go from spine to edge. You really don't wanna hit the edge with this stuff because the white and black will take out pieces from the edge. You'll notice in these pics here that the pitting isn't really coming out. $image.jpg$image.jpg

The he white and the black really got rid of the rust well. But not pitting

And a couple after the blue. You'll see here it's starting to polish up a little bit
$image.jpg$image.jpg

I don't know why these are coming out upside down.... I'm using my iPhone so nothing I can do about it now. Here are a couple after the final pink
$image.jpg$image.jpg$image.jpg

And finally a few after some flitz and mothers. My usually polish up routine is just some mothers. Threw some flitz in because I believe it to be slightly more abrasive. $image.jpg$image.jpg$image.jpg

And that ladies and gentlemen is silicone polishing wheels. It will polish a blade really well as you can see. No rust and in the right light provides a good mirror finish. If I were to do it again however I think I would start with sandpaper and grind down through all of the pitting then work with the wheels up to the pink 1200 grit, hit it with some 1500 and 2000 grit sand paper and then mothers. The work really well in the groove between the heel and the tang and really cleaned out the etching well. I was using a dremel 3000 on about level 6 the whole time. If you decide to try these out, be careful of heat. A couple times I noticed the blade heating up quite a bit.

As per my usual, I said F*** it and left it as is and cut up some birds eye maple scales that are gluing up now. A little pitting never bothered me for my own blades. For someone else I would have taken it all out. It was a fun project and I learned a lot. Gave me a little time to use my dremel and do something new. If you end up using them and find a good way to work with them let me know! I don't think I'll be tossing them aside anytime soon.

Kyro

Top Bottom