What's new

Gentlemen; I’m in love …

… with a whipped dog. I just received the synthetic brush I ordered from Larry Andreassen of Whipped Dog. It arrived in time for this morning’s SOTD, so I thought “Why not?”.

It’s a Resin handle in a nice butterscotch shade (I know, that’s cheating ‘cause it’s not a “real” butterscotch, but we get them for their appearance and this one looks good, IMHO). The knot is 24mm and normally set at 55mm loft, but I got Larry to sink it an extra 5mm to 50 for a touch of extra backbone. The whole thing, including the extra drilling and shipping cost only $30 Canadian (that’s 24.53 US at today’s rate).

This all started when I read the thread http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/453579-Synthetic-Shaving-Brush-Mega-Review-Add-your-experiences-here in which Jinx18 evaluated the Whipped Dog Synthetic as “the best all around brush” out of the nine that he tested. That was enough for me, so I fired off an email to Larry and the rest is history. Yes, I’m a booster of this brush and of Whipped Dog in general and Larry in particular. I don’t work for him and I’d never spoken with him before, so this review is unsolicited. I just like to give credit where I think it’s due.

Here it is as it came out of the mail this morning:

I put a dollop of Proraso Cream in a bowl, wet the brush and 15 seconds later I had this:

Sinking the knot the extra 5mm gave it as much backbone as my Semogue 1438 Natural Boar, and the tips are as soft as my Semogue 2040 High Density Silvertip.

On my face, a bit of pressure and it’s a real “scrubber”, but back off and it’s like the touch of an angel’s wings.

I’m going to enjoy this brush a lot.

Thanks to Larry for the excellent service and a great product.

Last edited by a moderator:
Given how much backbone the WD already has when set to the regular height, I probably would not opt for sinking the knot lower. But everyone is different!

Glad to hear that you enjoy the brush ... join the WD synthetic fan club :wink2:

Very cool. I actually just sent in an order for a butterscotch handle drilled deeper. I have the knot sitting waiting for it. I have the standard loft WD already so I figured I would try a little more backbone as well on this one.

I have a 22mm on the way. I wanted the 24, but y'all gobbled them up before I could get to them! It's fine though... I as happy with the size of the Plisson, which was also around the same diameter and loft as the 22mm WD, so I'm really just hoping this has the same qualities with a touch more backbone.

That's a nice brush. Unfortunately I'm not able to get WD things over here since the shipping would rip a Hole into my bank account. I Envy you.

Ok ill have a look at it. Last time I checked prices for trading stuff with USA ( gentlemanlz deals etc.) it was 39€ for a small package up to 1 Kilogram. That's about 45$ I guess.....ridicilous

Ok ill have a look at it. Last time I checked prices for trading stuff with USA ( gentlemanlz deals etc.) it was 39€ for a small package up to 1 Kilogram. That's about 45$ I guess.....ridicilous

I just checked WD.
Larrz only charges 5$ to everywhere in the World. That's really quite a fair offer. Damned another reason gone not to buy another straight...... 😁

Glad that you like your brush from Larry. I love my 24mm synthetic from him and I actually look forward to using that brush.

It's gone straight to #1 for me.....

-Josh

Larry has my Wedgwood handle for refurbishing with the WD synthetic knot. I can't wait to get it back and try it!

Does anyone know what's going on with The Firehouse Potter? I went to order a synthetic set in a Firehouse Potter handle the other day and his site said that ordering for them has been put on hold.

That's a nice brush. Unfortunately I'm not able to get WD things over here since the shipping would rip a Hole into my bank account. I Envy you.
Where is "over here"? I'm in Canada, so the shipping was still "International" from Larry's point of view. Why not send him a PM to find out?

I just bought my 1st WD a couple of weeks ago. I have never tried a high mountain white so I gave one of those a shot. I'm completely satisfied with his service (quick turnaround) and this brush.

Top Bottom