What's new

today was a good day

New guy here. Ive been lurking for a grand total of a week. Long story short - I couldnt bear paying €20 for another pack of gillette fusions - and a short internet search led me into this scary world of old school shaving. €15 and 2 days later I got my first starter kit, comprising of a stick of soap, brush, 100 blades and a wobbly looking TTO razor. A couple of days later I got the courage to actually try it on a 4 day beard, the result wasnt amazing (freshly shaved felt like evening stubble), but my face was still where it was supposed to be. More searches and reading later I got some proraso soap and the temptation to get a slim or fatboy became unbearable. My wife said she had her grandfathers old shaving kit, that she rescued during his house clearance after he passed away. For some reason she couldnt let them throw it away. This afternoon she found it in the attic - here is the result.

whats looks to me like a gillette flare tip rocket ii in REALLY good condition - as near to mint as you can get.
what google calls a wehrmacht officers shaving box (no identification on it anywhere)
a kent 19454 (?) badger (?) hair brush in a vulfix case
a wooden handled looks like tiger(!) hair brush which may or may not be coloured like that by rust (investigation pending)
a tube of vinolia shaving cream (still soft)

no idea what year the razor is, it just had the patent, 'made in england' and a 'ii' marking in it. same thing for the brushes, no idea what age they are, but the smaller kent one looks and feels like new. And the history behind the box is anyones guess, age-wise it could be his own box, but we're unsure if he was in the army during that period, and even less sure if he was an officer. its very possible that the box was 'liberated' after the war - resources be scarce etc.

all in all, im very VERY happy. AND ive had an offer accepted on a nice looking fatboy, just need to pick up it.

this is all very addicting. im only 5 days in and ill be €100 lighter by the end of the week.

$IMG_4809 (Medium).jpg$IMG_4811 (Medium).jpg$IMG_4812 (Medium).jpg$IMG_4813 (Medium).jpg$IMG_4814 (Medium).jpg

if anyone can shed any light on this stuff id love to hear it.

Last edited:
Welcome to B&B!

The II is an aggressiveness rating system (in this case medium aggressive) they started using at some point, the early Rockets don't have those marks. Rockets can't be accurately dated because they don't have date codes, but that one is most likely from the '60s. It's very cool having such a nice heirloom, congrats!

I can't help with the brush, but the guys in this subforum will know something about it:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/forumdisplay.php/7-Shaving-Brushes

wow. the 'ii' makes all the difference when compared to my wobbly cheap thing. much closer shave, my adams apple was shaved a bit 'too close', other than that - thumbs up all round.

Great to have you aboard and congratulations on the vintage setup. You are in a great spot with some good equipment. It all gets better shaving from here, just be patient and give it time. Consider each shave a learning experience. Have fun with it.

Congrats. I have a Rocket Flare tip the same as yours. It is a great shaving razor. It is nice to have heirloom vintage equipment. Enjoy your adventure.

VERY COOL!!!! That's a great kit you have there, even more so since it belonged to your wife's Grandfather.

Glad it gave you a better shave than that first razor you have. Remember: almost no pressure when you shave with a DE, just barely enough to keep the blade from skipping is all. Also when you're new at it try to keep it to no more than 2 or 3 passes to avoid irritation.

Report back once you get more time with it all :thumbup1:

I'd really like SWMBO to go out to the garage (no attic) and bring in a box containing her grandfather's razor and brushes. But, after 40 years I think that if that was going to happen, it would have already. Congrats on a nice set and a very wise wife.

Thanks for the reactions everyone.

still getting to grips with the whole de shaving thing. And im in the market for a 1972 gillette, looks like the shaving bug has got me.

The kent looks and feels like new, havent used it yet, it smells like a wet dog thats just dried out...

not sure what butterscotch means. Is that a regerence to the colour?

Yes, the handle material of old shaving brushes has a tendency to ripen with age into a beautiful butterscotch color. Eventually the knot wears out and needs to be replaced, but the handle can often be preserved.

really? so thats not the original colour?

amazing.

edit: do you know what the material of the handle is?

Last edited:
Top Bottom