What's new

Garden Dilemma

So I have planted my annual vegetable garden and everything is coming up nicely. However, within the past year my family aquired a stray cat that has turned out to be the best cat there is (it literally acts like a dog). Not knowing it was pregnant when we decided to take it in, we now have four outside cats...which helps keeps rabbits, rodents, birds, etc. from eating my garden. No big deal right...except that my wife is preganant and has been advised by her doctor not to eat anything from it because of the risk of Toxoplasmosis!!!:blink::mad3: from our cats possibly getting in the garden. Fortunately, I have some tomato plants and peppers in containers, but man I was really like "are you kidding me" when I was told this. Oh well, better safe than sorry. Thanks for letting me rant. So for any people out there with pregnant wives, girl friends, etc. just a word of caution if you have outdoor cats and a garden.

Interesting. I did a bit of reading, and several sources seem to indicate pregnant women should avoid anything where they are in contact with cat feces including gardening. Eating well washed fruits and vegetables from your own garden shouldn't be a problem. You would have more risk of passing it to her by bringing in unwashed veggies, or touching her after being in the garden without washing your hands. Thats all assuming cats are pooping in your garden...

They have stayed out for the most part. My little girls loves chasing and screaming at them to stay out, she thinks it's really funny, I have even caught her lecturing them about not getting in the garden. And, I also read in some medical journals to just make sure the food is washed properly if eating it raw. My logic is; what's the difference or risk from getting it from a farmer's market or grocery store. But, I have learned to pick my battles, and I don't see me winning this one, especially against the advise of her doctor (which is good advise, please don't think I am trying to endanger my wife or being overly ademant about this, it's just a situation I never gave any thought too). But, on the plus side, my neighbor with no cats and an outside dog that diligently patrols his yard and garden against outside invaders said he would be happy to trade produce with me to accomodate my situation.

My opinion is what do you think is healthier, your wife eating home grown, monitored produce out of your own garden or from a grocery store.

Personally, I would capture the cats, find them homes except for the primary momma cat you really like. Domesticate the cat and it'll not be a question of it getting in your garden.

another thought, cats being territorial are keeping other cats you don't know about from getting in your garden!

congrats on the baby!!

I had cat problems in my raised bed garden until I put prickly sharp pine cones all around the plants. Cats can't stand walking on them, it's worked really well. I can't take credit for this idea as I found it on the internet.

I had cat problems in my raised bed garden until I put prickly sharp pine cones all around the plants. Cats can't stand walking on them, it's worked really well. I can't take credit for this idea as I found it on the internet.

Thanks for the idea. I am considering making some raised beds for the fall season and this will definately help.

Interesting. I did a bit of reading, and several sources seem to indicate pregnant women should avoid anything where they are in contact with cat feces including gardening. Eating well washed fruits and vegetables from your own garden shouldn't be a problem. You would have more risk of passing it to her by bringing in unwashed veggies, or touching her after being in the garden without washing your hands. Thats all assuming cats are pooping in your garden...

+1

Top Bottom