What's new

Under the Nose and Chin area shave help thread, please post tips/advice here.

Nose and Chin.
....This is a problem areas for Newbies and Oldies alike. Please post your techniques or best supporting insight for nose and chin shaving.

Last edited:
In some contoured areas, only some of the blade will be making contact with your face; reduce pressure accordingly and use short strokes to avoid nicks and irritation.

I use steep angle and skewing, for even cutting, followed by a more direct steep angle for maximum power and depth. A third area with the same character, fleshy but with a bony underlay, is the jaw corner/Masseter.

Keep it soft and relaxed. Takes some creativity to get any tension behind the stroke, but pulling your nose up is straightforward enough, at least, WTG.

Last edited:
I figure growing a mustache and a goatee ought to take care of it...LOL Seriously though, I've almost decided to go back to the Mach 3 for just the mustache area.

Not that I have mastered this area (actually far from it), but I can never seem to be able to shave either WTG or ATG around my chin - the only way is XTG (actually it's sideways - not true XTG) in both directions. That will give me a BBS - not necessarily without irritation every time.

For under the nose, it's strictly WTG when using a shavette, and WTG/XTG when using a DE - never ATG.

For the moustache, I stretch the upper lip and go WTG, nose to ear and ear to nose. If I go ATG there there is a high chance of bumps, burn, blood and upleasantness.

For the chin, at first I stretch the lower lip over my teeth and then bullfrog while shaving like the rest of my face (probably with a little more care). That eliminates the need to navigate the contour of the chin.

In both areas, I have to do WTG x2, XTG and GTX for a total of 4 passes. If I try ATG I get lots of irritation and bumps. I don't get BBS all of the time, but always at least DFS.

For my mustache area I use my tongue to "puff out" the corners and other areas to get the hard to shave stubble. Also, many folks should avoid ATG in that area. As for the chin, learn to maintain the proper angle when shaving there.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
For the moustache area roll your lips inwards and shave upon. For the chin area look slightly upwards and use the off hand to strentchen the skin. A multi-direction pass may help in both cases.

So after having a goatee for a 6 months and being a newbie to wet shaving , I thought I had mastered it. I decided to go clean shaven today and boy was I wrong ! My chin looked I was eating spaghetti sauce with no hands. Yikes ! Well I have a lot of learning to do!

So after having a goatee for a 6 months and being a newbie to wet shaving , I thought I had mastered it. I decided to go clean shaven today and boy was I wrong ! My chin looked I was eating spaghetti sauce with no hands. Yikes ! Well I have a lot of learning to do!

What learning do you think is lacking?

Top Bottom