What's new

Chromium Oxide

Hello all,

What is the grit of chromium oxide? (the green paste) And do I strop with this paste or do I hone(spine first or blade first)?

If your using a pasted strop you strop as normal with the spine leading. You never strop with the edge leading. Don't quote me on this but as I recall the Cr0 is around 50K or something like that.

Chromium Oxide powder is typically .5 micron grit, but like most any other chemical compound, there are different grades and qualities.

I'm doing an experiment now with the sole purpose of trying to overhone a razor while stropping on a Chromium Oxide laced newspaper. Prior to this, I was under the opinion that it was very easy to overhone on chrome. I'm up to 600 passes with no wire edge and comfortable shaves. My opinion is changing. I'll be experimenting more on this in the future.

Chris L

Chromium Oxide powder is typically .5 micron grit, but like most any other chemical compound, there are different grades and qualities.

I'm doing an experiment now with the sole purpose of trying to overhone a razor while stropping on a Chromium Oxide laced newspaper. Prior to this, I was under the opinion that it was very easy to overhone on chrome. I'm up to 600 passes with no wire edge and comfortable shaves. My opinion is changing. I'll be experimenting more on this in the future.

Chris L

That's one of the reasons I really like to touch up on Green Chrome. I find it's very forgiving as well as very smooth.

That doesn't surprise me at all. Cr0 is very fine and your using it on newspaper which when wet is a padded surface. If you want to do a real experiment try using it on balsa and on a hard plastic type surface and compare the results. I'd be willing to bet the harder the underlying substrate the more of an effect you will get. Then try doing 600 passes on .25 diamond and see what happens. (he-he)

Chris L

My guess is that it will stay that way as you continue...unless your arm gets tired and you nick your strop and ruin the edge :biggrin:

Top Bottom