What's new

Dmt

Hello all,

When honing with a DMT diamond plate (D8EE), do I need to soak it in the water before? DMT says that you can hone dry or with water, but which one is the best (for my straight and my hone)?

You don't need to soak it, only some porous ceramic hones need to be soaked (like the Nortons). I've read several times that water with a drop of detergent is recommended (by DMT presumably). The detergent will break the surface tension preventing the water from beading up. That's what I've been doing and it's worked fine.

I've read several times that water with a drop of detergent is recommended (by DMT presumably).

Yep, when I received my DMT a week or so ago it came with a big note on the front saying it works best with a bit of detergent mixed in with the water.

Yep, when I received my DMT a week or so ago it came with a big note on the front saying it works best with a bit of detergent mixed in with the water.

Some guys over at SRP said to use soapy water. I guess that's the same thing as detergent. If the hone makes your edge too abrasive, they said to use more soap to smoothen it out a bit.

I've only used a splash of water with my DMTs but if you have the dish soap handy then a drop or so sounds like a good idea.

Top Bottom